Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2006 ex250 a few weeks ago, and it had been running fine until today. I started my bike this morning with my choke fully on, and let the bike idle until it was a little warmer, so I let the choke half way out. I started down the road, with my choke still halfway on. About 100 yards away from my house, I turned the choke completely off and continued riding. Everything felt normal until my throttle felt much less responsive than normal. As I pulled up to the approaching stoplight, my bike died. I couldn't get the bike to restart with or without choke, so I parked my bike in a nearby parking lot, walked to my car and drove to school. On my way back from school, I stopped at my bike, started it, and rode it home with the choke halfway on and it felt normal. When I arrived at my house, the bike was even idling at a little under 2 grand without choke, as it should. I checked everything: gas, petcock, kill switch, charged battery, ignition key etc. No aftermarket modifications on the bike whatsoever. what could be happening?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'd suggest two things: One, get some Seafoam and a funnel from a local parts store and add it to your gas. Second is, if possible, run a battery maintainer on the bike overnight. On a side note, if you leave the bike outside, it may be good to get a cover to keep the days warmth in it.

If that does not work, more in depth carb cleaning may need to be done.

Or do like what I did for two years if the conditions are the same: I did not ride underneath a certain temperature outside. I knew it would not run right until I did the above mentioned things (my carbs needed professional help).

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
The quality of the fuel they are selling leaves a lot to be desired. E85 because it contains alcohol will and does absorb water/moisture from the air.

The gasoline/alcohol mix tends to seperate after sitting around, so what you've got in your bike's tank may be what was at the bottom of the filling station's gas tank.

Many riders have had good luck with Seafoam and another little cheaper cleaner is Berryman's B-12. Both will help clean up carbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to the store today and bought a bottle of fuel injector/carb cleaner. The instructions say to pour the bottle into the gas tank. Has anyone had experience with such a product? I'm going to run it through the system, and i will update soon after. Thanks for the responses! :D

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
I bought my 2006 ex250 a few weeks ago, and it had been running fine until today. I started my bike this morning with my choke fully on, and let the bike idle until it was a little warmer, so I let the choke half way out. I started down the road, with my choke still halfway on. About 100 yards away from my house, I turned the choke completely off and continued riding. Everything felt normal until my throttle felt much less responsive than normal. As I pulled up to the approaching stoplight, my bike died. I couldn't get the bike to restart with or without choke, so I parked my bike in a nearby parking lot, walked to my car and drove to school. On my way back from school, I stopped at my bike, started it, and rode it home with the choke halfway on and it felt normal. When I arrived at my house, the bike was even idling at a little under 2 grand without choke, as it should. I checked everything: gas, petcock, kill switch, charged battery, ignition key etc. No aftermarket modifications on the bike whatsoever. what could be happening?
When was the last time you changed plugs,cleaned your air filter and carbs??? If you have to have the choke on chances are it is your carbs.Drain the float bowls and see whats in there.You might have to take them off the bike and get some carb cleaner and spray them down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I removed the carbs, and cleaned all the jets and bowls with carb cleaner. They didn't look dirty at all, but I still cleaned them as best as I could. I reinstalled them in the bike and it ran completely fine. I don't know what the problem was, but it's gone now, haha. It idles and runs as it should. Thanks for the help :)

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
That's good to hear!! All it takes is a spec of crud in the pickup tube in the float bowl to make this happen.Chances are you might have some junk in the tank.You might want to get an inline fuel filter at your local dealership that is design for bikes just for peace of mind.I have had them on all my carb bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.