Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Vulcan 900 classic. It won't start in 1st gear with clutch in. I replaced the clutch switch but it still won't start in 1st gear. Any ideas appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Check your kick stand switch. If you start in neutral then shift into 1st does it stay running?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this a new problem? Were you able to start the bike in gear before?
Is this a new problem? Were you able to start the bike in gear before?
No, I have always had to start in N. Thought it was a safety but found out that I should be able to start in first with kickstand up and clutch in. Thought clutch relay was the problem but after I replaced it problem persists.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always start mine in first gear with the clutch in when its warm to keep that high rev at bay also I did the same with my 2015 900.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It really sounds like the clutch switch you replaced is either not working as it should, or the wiring is bad somewhere.

Can you get a multimeter and test the switch? Remove the wires and test the switch by itself. If it functions correctly, trace the wires back and keep checking until you find the problem. A wiring diagram would be very helpful to you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reposting this because first attempt was flagged for some reason, but you need help.
I have the exact same bike. Here is a link to the factory repair manual to perform the Interlock Operation Inspection. Also, tee gee, why not also register at Vulcan Forums. Lot more people with your model with plenty of knowledgeable and expertise. Don’t think this site would mind. I believe they are both owned by the same company.

Crankshaft Sensor Peak Voltage Inspection; Interlock Operation Inspection - Kawasaki VN900 CLASSIC Service Manual [Page 505] | ManualsLib

www.manualslib.com
www.manualslib.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts