Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here I am in Colorado.. The last time I got her started was about 2 and a half weeks ago. Now it's just too cold, and I'm afraid the carbs will gum up if I don't get it started.

What's the worst that will happen if I leave her sitting until the spring? It has a fresh tank of 91 octane..

Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well here I am in Colorado.. The last time I got her started was about 2 and a half weeks ago. Now it's just too cold, and I'm afraid the carbs will gum up if I don't get it started.

What's the worst that will happen if I leave her sitting until the spring? It has a fresh tank of 91 octane..

Thanks
Like you said, the carbs may gum up, but who cares. From the sound of it, the carbs could probably use a cleaning. If you can do it yourself, even better cus its not that hard to do once you've done it once. I would wait till spring, give the carbs a good cleaning, then go from there.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Turn the fuel off and drain the carbs. Or if you can get it started then just leave the fuel off and run it till she dies. By the way you'll want to replace that gas before you get her going again in the spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there,

I'm just a new member from new zealand and have recently just picked up my first kawasaki a week or so ago. It is the zxr250a model and at the time of purchase it was not running. The bike had been sitting in storage for twelve months and the engine had apparently flooded and would not start. After checking everything possible, it still appeared as though the carbs were the problem. I was going to pay for them to get reconditioned but got bored waiting and decided to pull them apart myself to check the floats etc, and ended up just spraying carb cleaner in and on everything i could see. After that, the bike started up straight away (with a little cranking of course). Not the biggest deal, just more of a hassle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.. So I need to clean the carbs, drain the fuel and clean the carbs, or just turn off the fuel switch and clean the carbs.

Anyone have a good "how to" write up on carb cleaning?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You need to drain the carbs not the tank so you turn your petcock to the "OFF" position and either drain them manually or just let the bike run until it burns off all the fuel sitting in them. If I were you I'd go find a good shop manual to help you with this and it will also tell you the correct way to clean them. Read through the whole procedure first and then make the call if your mechanical skills are up to it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
fuel breakdown

Thanks
While sitting(even for a week) your gas will start breaking down,know matter the octane rating
if it was me and wanted to save some time heres what i would do.
I would go to a local parts stor and pick myself up a bottle of fuel stabilizer for about 5 bucks....
read the directions and add what you need 2 your fuel...About one oz. treats up two 2 1/2 gallons
once added swish it around a couple of times so it gets mixed....Start your bike and let it warm up to operating temp. (im assuming you already put in fuel stabilizer) let it run a while longer 2 give it time to get stabilizer all threw your fuel system...then while its still running shut your fuel two the OFF position and let it burne the rest out of your carbs....then your all set....youll be good 2 gow 4 12 months
good luck

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
While sitting(even for a week) your gas will start breaking down,know matter the octane rating
if it was me and wanted to save some time heres what i would do.
I would go to a local parts stor and pick myself up a bottle of fuel stabilizer for about 5 bucks....
read the directions and add what you need 2 your fuel...About one oz. treats up two 2 1/2 gallons
once added swish it around a couple of times so it gets mixed....Start your bike and let it warm up to operating temp. (im assuming you already put in fuel stabilizer) let it run a while longer 2 give it time to get stabilizer all threw your fuel system...then while its still running shut your fuel two the OFF position and let it burne the rest out of your carbs....then your all set....youll be good 2 gow 4 12 months
good luck
Gas doesn't go bad after a week, or two weeks, or a month. It'll take longer than that before the bike won't run because of gas.

I do agree with the stabilizer though. My understanding is, the stabilizer lets the gas evaporate as a mixture, rather than letting the volatile solvents evaporate first, leaving the gummy stuff in your carbs.

If you're going to let the bike set for a few months your best bet is, indeed, to run some fuel stabilizer through the bike. Draining the carbs would be up to you at this point, but any more than a couple of weeks and the bowls will be empty anyway from the gas evaporating. I personally just leave it and haven't had a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts