Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and a beginner rider. i had fun with my bike last year but did not have a garage to put it in. i live in ny and there really has not been that much snow and i did have a heavy duty cover on it. well my friend is gonna let me store it in his garage but now it will not start. i have been starting it occasionally but have not done so since like 2 weeks. now its like dead. there is gas in the tank a little less then half. i have tried turning up the choke as much as possible but just cranks and no start. i tried removing the battery and charging it but to not avail bike still wont start. should i change out the battery for a new one? someone told me to try some gas cleaner and to fill up the tank and let sit for a couple hours and try to start again.

its a 1996 ninja 500 r about 5k bought used...

any help would be apprciated for a newbie....

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'd put my money on fouled spark plugs. Change them out before messing with it. Also check that you turned on the fuel petcoc(k) (I know it sounds stupid but I did that once)

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
First of all...Welcome! :)

Things to look for are:

1. Fully charged battery
2. Fresh fuel (drain tank and float bowls to remove possible water contamination)
3. Fresh plugs
4. Gas additive SeaFoam can help clean out carbs if not to gummed up
5. Warm engine will start easier than a cold one.

·
Registered
237 Posts
if you forgot to shut the gas off you need to clean the plugs. or drain the carbs.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Spark, compression and fuel. You have to eliminate. Pull a plug and ground it, is there fire when you turn it over. Add fuel directly to the cylinder. Still no go, check the compression. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts