Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vampire
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I was hoping for some help with this, wondering if anyone else here has had any experience with this gear indicator? Last year i bought a biketronix gear indicator and have just been at the garage getting other work done so i asked them to fit this and get it going for me while it was there. It seems to be working ok but it wont program to the gears. I cant use most makes of gear indicators as my bike has a cable driven speedo (VFR400 NC30) which limits what i can buy. He managed to program it up to 2nd gear then it stops and wont go any further. This is the manual you get for fitting the indicator: http://www.biketronix.info/Manuals/Biketronix_Gear_Indicator V4_V5.1_V5.2_manual_UK.pdf Says you're ment to wait til 'n' comes up then change to the next gear. He said when he got to 2 and went to program 3, the n didnt come up and it wouldnt go any further. When riding it back home, it just stays in 2nd, doesnt even switch between 1 and 2 when i change so its not even recognising that im changing from 1st and 2nd. When i first turn the ignition on it does cycle through all the numbers from 9 to 1 then stays in neutral til i get going, then quickly changes from 1 to 2 before i've even changed gear then just sits in 2 til i turn the ignition off

I was wondering if anyone else has this indicator and has had any luck on getting it to work? I know they're not essential things to have, i just think it looks really nice on my dash and can help if im not sure what gear im in sometimes. I dont know what to do with it myself. Not sure if its just a bad make, the indicator is faulty or the instructions arent right and theres another way of doing it that works. He said if someone has gotten it to work and has a way of doing it then he can try programming it again for me

I havent had any luck finding another one i could buy, all the rest need electronic speedos. I've found an Acumens one that you can buy a speedo kit for but its expensive for the cable alone, let alone the indicator as well. Any help would be appreciated with this. Might just be a dodgy make though i dont know. Seen mixed reviews about it, some say its crap and doesnt work and some others say it works fine..

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Is the unit switching correctly between rpm and wheel speed?
Are you lifting the ground from the yellow wire after each gear change during programming?

·
Vampire
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the unit switching correctly between rpm and wheel speed?
Are you lifting the ground from the yellow wire after each gear change during programming?
Honestly im not sure, it was the garage who fit it for me. He said he followed the instructions in the manual and tried a few other things from having looked online about it but couldnt get it to work. He said it seemed to be working ok, he got 1st and 2nd programmed but it wouldnt go any further (after 2 he said 'n' didnt come up on the screen which is when it needs to change to the next gear to program it) The sensor is fitted to the rear wheel as it would be almost impossible to program it on public roads if it was on the front wheel, so can do it with a stand instead using the rear wheel

Im not sure if he removed the ground after each or not, he just did as it said to. The manual says the rpm is of no importance when programming it.. I assume he would have removed the ground after each was programmed then back on for the next gear. I didnt know what to ask him at the time cause i dont know anything about electrics (didnt even know what it ment by 'grounding' lol :tongue: ) I need to take the bike back to him again next month anyway as he didnt remove my restriction (told him it was washers and he removed some black box thing from the rev meter instead) So if i can find out what might fix the gear indicator i can pass the information onto him and get him to try it again. Would do it myself but i dont know what im doing with electrics and dont want to mess about and do it wrong..

When i turn the ignition on it goes down the gears, seeming to be working fine. When it does end up in 2 and sits there, the little dot at the top flashes (as it should when its being programmed) but stops after like 10 seconds and stays at 2. As he said the 'n' to change to 3rd didnt come up so he couldnt get it past 2. I could take a quick video of what it does when i turn it on if it might help in any way. I want to try programming myself but when i dont know what im doing it might not be a good idea..

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Those instructions are poor, at best. You have to read very carefully. Make sure that it switches from rpm to wheel speed on the flashing light.
Follow the troubleshooting section, also. I would try again to program.

Post back if you cannot get to work.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Just as an add, what they mean "rpm is not important" means at what rpm you do the grounding is not important, not that rpm is not used for the indicator; it is used.

·
Vampire
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah ok. I dunno anything about this stuff so.. Yeah he said the instructions are pretty crap, and others have said the same, i just couldnt find anywhere any help with programming it. Alright, how would i know that its changing from rpm to wheel speed when the light flashes? I could try doing it myself, im just not sure what to do. I know nothing what so ever about electronics, i avoid working with them. Sounds like the instructions are crap and it could do with a reprogram, though i dont know if he tried that or not, he could have reprogrammed it loads of times i dont know, he just said no matter what he did it wouldnt go past 2. They could do with being written alot better so are easier to follow. The company is in the Netherlands so the translation probably doesnt help much either

If i knew how to do it i would try reprogramming it myself but im not really sure.. so i wont know if i can get it or not without taking it to someone else again to do. I do want to try though if i can figure it out. He left the wire i need out at the top with electrical tape over the end. Said i need a length of wire to reach it to the battery. Thats about all i know, assuming i have to rev the engine for the wheel to spin too. I'll have a look at it and see if i can do it. Just need wire for it

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Here is what you can do:
1. Purchase a doorbell switch from home center. They are cheap and is necessary for your safety.
2. Loosen your negative battery clamp and slip a wire that will reach up to your handle bars under the clamp. Tighten.
3. Connect one end of this wire to doorbell switch.
4. Connect yellow wire to other side of switch.
5. Tape this rigging to your handlebar ensuring all wires are secured with tape to your machine and you can turn handle bars OK.
6. Push and hold doorbell, turn on key.
7. A "C" should appear. When it appears, release switch.
8. An "N" should appear.
9. Start bike. The led in the upper corner should blink about once per second at idle, twice per second at 2000rpm.
10. Put the bike in gear and drive a little ways. The light should now blink on and off for each wheel revolution. If you cannot tell difference, coast, pull in clutch and rev motor. Led should not increase in frequency.

Try this out and if it is OK, we can proceed.

·
Vampire
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds a bit much having to do all that.. I wanted to program it without having to take it on the road at all. I think the GI is just crap, thinking of getting a GIPro instead as they say it works really quickly (as most GI's have a time delay before it recognises the gear change) and it comes with a sensor for use with cable driven speedos. I asked about it and said it works by attaching to the brake disc bolts which sounds better than my current set up with the sensor and magnet stuck onto the wheel rim.. It doesnt even need to be programmed for bikes with electronic speedos, just change the gears and thats it. Not sure how it works with cable speedos though, guess it would still need to be programmed. Should have more luck with that than this one. Have heard GIPro is a good make of Gear indicator..

Im just gonna give up with this one and buy a decent one. Thanks anyway for your help :)

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Noooo.... don't give up so easy. Half the work is done already with it being installed.
The rest is a piece of cake!
But it is up to you.

·
Vampire
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the garage not being able to get it to work i think its just a crap GI. Looking online to see what others say about it they all say its crap and doesnt work. If i knew what i was doing to keep trying with it then i would but i dont.. I dont want to have to do all that with it, it shouldnt be that difficult to program it. I havent really heard anything good about this indicator, GiPro on the otherhand sounds good. I dont know what to do with it, dont want to go through all of what you suggested above though thanks for trying to help with it. Is useless having it fitted if all it does is sit in 2nd the whole time and wont do anything else. Sounds like i bought a useless make, i should have looked into it more before i bought it. I just didnt expect there to be any problems but i know better now. You get what you pay for i suppose

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Sorry it does not seem to work for you. Maybe another type will be more sucessful.
I suggested the door bell switch so that you could drive down the road and have an easy way to ground the yellow wire without wiping out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
matey right with the doorbell trick.also have u got a paddock stand,just put it on that its just 5 mins to do every time it flashes ground then change gear wait till gear number comes up then do it again .just remember for first and second u got to go in neutral.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts