Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've been on here, can't seem to find the time for everything anymore. Anyway I always wanted a hand tooled leather seat but never wanted to spend 6oo or so on one so I spent 1500 in leatherworking tools and supplies and made a few. They've turned out pretty good so far. This is the latest I've made. It needs a new home. I've started on my own now and will post pics once it's done. This one is made with #1 grade Wickett&Craig leather and Kangaroo lace, the pan has 610 hand punched holes. I have about 35 hours or so in it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a pic with it mounted to my bike and one with the plain ol cheap ebay seat I had been using to show what a difference it makes. I can't wait to finish mine!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And a few other things I've made.. This stuff was made with a cheaper leather though and it seemed to color funny.

·
Official Bug Taster
361 Posts
Love the look of the seat. Great job. You got some talent there. Your bike looks pretty sweet also.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Very nice looking work!!

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Really nice craftsmanship! Looks great!

·
900 Classic
190 Posts
Beautiful work. Since you didn't want pay $600 for a seat, what may I ask are you charging for those beauties?

·
WTF keeps ticking?!?!
1,334 Posts
Those are amazing. I could easily see those going for lots of money. You are truly an artist.

·
Bug Killer Extraordinaire
490 Posts
No offense, but putting that Seat on you bobber
is like putting diamond earings on a Sow!!

you're going to have to spruce up the bike to match!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beautiful work. Since you didn't want pay $600 for a seat, what may I ask are you charging for those beauties?

Hello, thanks again everyone. The price really depends a lot on how you would want it made and what all you wanted on it. One like the star seat with all the decrotive lacing and a full round braid around the edge would probably be around ***** One without the decrotive lacing and a different type of lace around the edge that is similar but quicker to do would be about**** I'm sure prices will go up over time but for now that's a more than fair price.
The Skull seat is gone. I wasn't to happy with the way it came out and the leather was
not near as good as what I'm using now and it dyed funny.
The star seat is available and I'll sell it to any forum member for 300 shipped.
I probably won't be able to sell them cheap for long for a few reasons, I don't want to undercut those that do it to feed their families and it's just stupid to put a bunch of time into something and make next to nothing.
PM me if anyone is interested in one.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No offense, but putting that Seat on you bobber
is like putting diamond earings on a Sow!!

you're going to have to spruce up the bike to match!!
That's funny. I was thinking the same thing. I think I might give her a real paint job soon. It's not on my bike though it was just sitting there. It still has the POS vinyl seat that didn't last very long before it started to rip. Kinda like the carpenter who's house is always in need of repairs.

·
900 Classic
190 Posts
I thought the leather seat on your bobber looked perfect.

·
-=V=-
245 Posts
Bravo .... those look great !!! I love it when people learn a new skill becouse they are thrifty !!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bravo .... those look great !!! I love it when people learn a new skill becouse they are thrifty !!
That's pretty much the story of my life. This time although I didn't save money but in the end it will be worth it to say that I made it. The only thing I won't do again is mount my own tires. That wasn't worth it.

·
Moto Mez
991 Posts
No offense man but don't you think it is a little backwards that you didn't want to buy a seat for hundreds of dollars but you will sell them for that much. If it is just a hobby it isn't your living anyway. I love building exhaust but if I made them to sell I wouldn't charge the price that aftermarket sets cost. It is just something I love doing.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No offense man but don't you think it is a little backwards that you didn't want to buy a seat for hundreds of dollars but you will sell them for that much. If it is just a hobby it isn't your living anyway. I love building exhaust but if I made them to sell I wouldn't charge the price that aftermarket sets cost. It is just something I love doing.
My prices weren't even close to unreasonable. If anyone thinks so check around and make sure your comparing apples to apples. If someone wants a cheap low quality seat there's always an abundance on eBay, if someone wants an aftermarket seat the can get a mustang and if someone wants a true custom seat they will pay a bit more and get a lot more. I've already told people they should just get a mustang because it'll be cheaper. If someone here thinks 250 -400 bucks is unreasonable the seat obviously isn't for you and/or they have no idea of what went in it in materials and labor. My prices also aren't something I'm going to discuss further in a forum type situation. But the old saying of " find something you love doing and you'll never work in your life" doesn't mean you never get paid.

·
Moto Mez
991 Posts
I know exactly what goes into a that and I still think it is unreasonable. That is a flaw of the industry though. Everybody just inflates their prices because they say it is "custom." But people who have money and can't do it themselves will pay it. You think if this wasn't such a yuppie filled culture people would selling seat for hundreds of dollars.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts