Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an old ex500 and I'm getting it ready for the road. I went to check the oil level and have found that the window is soild black. I'm not sure if it has been over filled or if the old oil is just sticking to the window. But either way the oil in there is pretty nasty. This is my first project bike and I dont know the ends and outs of these tiny little motors. Is it ok to run an engine flush through it to brake up some of the gunk? In cars I normaly run through the flush, fill it with cheap oil and bring it up to temp, then change it again with better oil, will this same process work or will I do more damage than good? Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The only flushing method I would attempt is drain, fill with new oil, run for 50-100 miles, drain again and fill for normal duration.

·
Registered
334 Posts
+1
Do not use a flushing agent - if you can drop the existing pil - do it.
Then re-fill with a cheap oil - warm up the engine and change oil and filters.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
agreed. drain nasty crap in the crankcase and refill, run for a bit, then drain and repeat.

never use any additives in an engine with a wet clutch, really easy to screw up the clutch on these.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
The only thing I've ever used as a cleaning/flushing agent is to put a little seafoam in the oil then run it 50 miles and change out the oil and filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts