Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
U.S. Army Sgt. Vet.
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems quite a few people love the chrome out on there bikes. I have of late loved the Black Out of bikes(For lack of a better term). Not sure why or when this look has really taken over my likings but would like to ask the forum some questions about it.

First, Is it ok to take some parts off of my bike(plastic ones or metal) and sand/paint them myself? Or should i take to a body shop to do it. Again the new Harley black denim is what I am going for. Not to worried about the V-twins but just all the other stuff around the bike that isn't to difficult to remove and replace. What can i powder coat / what I can't.

Just really trying to make the bike mine. I have an 09 Kawi Vulcan 900 Custom with the Midnight Metallic blue paint. Looks black in everything except very clear sunny days. Everyone thinks its black. Just throwing it into the arena to see what others think and may be doing... Hoping to get some fresh and new ideas!

Thanks forum members!!!8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Here's one thread, http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...classic-all-put-back-together-large-pics.html

And here's another, http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/116686-my-vulcan-glide-large-pics.html

I did all of the painting myself with some Krylon spray paint. Too easy. Never painted before. Had a couple issues doing the speedo housing because I put too many coats on. Other than that everything looks great.

As far as powder coating, you can only do metal because it has to get heated to bake on. So count that out for a lot of the stuff you can just pop off yourself. There are a bunch of other people here that have painted more than I have. I'm not done, just got lazy. :lol:

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Flat black is pretty easy. It doesn't show mistakes or imperfections near as much as a gloss will.

The real key to any god paint job is the prep work before hand. Lots of good info here and out on the interweb. Just do a little searching.

The whole flat-black/rat-bike/murdered-out look is pretty popular right now. So it might be hard to be totally original, but you still don't see a ton of them out riding around, so don't worry about it too much. The real trick is to be creative in what you do. Try adding some accent colors (red is very popular) or doing the tins in a flat color other than black.

Some good looking examples:

Flat black frame w/ flat gold tins

All flat w/ minimal chrome

Nice tough look - the numbers and gold rims add to the 'ruggedness'

Nice use of red and white over the black

Red frames set the flat colors off nicely

Meanies are a good example

Just some ideas for your project, to help it stand out from the sea of blacked-out bikes running around these days. It's your bike, have fun with it.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I think the fancy-schmancy trendy term being thrown for a blacked out ride around is "murdered".

Regardless, on the right bike or car, and done right...I think it looks awesome. You should give it a shot, good luck.

·
U.S. Army Sgt. Vet.
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
updated thoughts

I have contacted a custom bike builder out of Victoria, about twenty miles from me and they do powder-coating. Asked him about the handlebars, the light housing, the rims and the primary cover(if that is what its called). Will do all for 400 bucks. Is that good? If i get them done separately it is more:

Front and rear wheels- 350.00
primary cover- 50.00
handle bars- 40.00
headlight- 25.00

I am seriously considering this, just not sure about the primary cover. That would require some teardown, new seal, new fluids... Correct?

Any thoughts...

·
Livin' fast, dying slow
1,084 Posts
Your headlight housing is plastic, it can't be powdercoated.
Rustoleum makes a paint especially for plastic that is available in flat black, gloss black, and maybe even a semi gloss. I painted all of my turn signal housings with it after roughing up the surface with a 400 or 600 sand paper.
The paint works really well with no problems and only 2 coats. I also have painted a chrome coil cover the same way. I painted my sissy bar with a Hammertone textured black paint also by Rustoleum after using emery paper and a wire brush attachment on a drill to scuff up the chrome. I primered them first, and then applied several coats to get the finish I wanted. The paint on the sissy bar is a little 'soft' for my liking and someday I want to get it powered coated, but for now it looks good I think.
PICT0046.JPG
PICT0016.JPG

Attachments

·
U.S. Army Sgt. Vet.
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet, man I was trying to get the special edition when i went in. But dealers only had two mine and the burnt orange one. I am not about the burnt orange as I am a die hard Texas Aggie fan. LOL Will definitely paint plastics myself after hearing what you other forum members have had success with! Happy New Year!

·
'08 900 custom
739 Posts
I was the same way about doing the blacked out look, but didn't want to look like everybody else on the road. And I didn't want the typical flat black with red wheels and whitewalls. Its been done too much and they all look the same to me. So I went with Harley paint off of the nightster and did most of the work myself doing the blacked out look. I had a guy do my powdercoating that lives close to me. He did both wheels for $90, the bars and risers for like $30 and the heat shields were maybe $25. So maybe shop around a little bit at other powdercoating places. My guy is someone who just does it on the side. Now I'm just waiting on my mimic rear wheel!!! Woo hoo!

·
Stealth Custom
4,838 Posts

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Making your bike virtually invisible to other traffic after the sun sets is a very cool idea. I'm pretty sure you ain't skeert tho' :)

·
Livin' fast, dying slow
1,084 Posts
Making your bike virtually invisible to other traffic after the sun sets is a very cool idea. I'm pretty sure you ain't skeert tho' :)
On the other hand, they can't hit ya if they can't see ya.:biggrin:
Or, just another another way that loud pipes save life's.:cool:
Plus I'm sure you know that red motorcycles at night appears to be black.....

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
*sigh* Why am I not surprised. I guess black paint should just be outlawed all together then. :rolleyes: Better yet, let's just all paint our bikes and cars neon yellow. That should do it!

·
'08 900 custom
739 Posts
Wouldn't that be the same as having a black car or truck? One guy said to me when I bought my white truck, "Why did you get white? I would never want a white truck, what happens if you're in a ditch in a snow storm? No one would see you!" HUH?????

·
Registered
716 Posts
Shoot, people can't see me/us in broad daylight, I'm not gonna worry any about riding at night.

Robb's bike looks awesome. Very nice work. 8)

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Hate to tell you this, Deep, but from the front or back, 100 yards away...no one knows what color your bike is.

Anyway, I think everything has been covered...but for a bit more information, there are good links in this thread

Technique for actually painting is the same regardless of can or gun...so be smooth, make sure the can or gun is moving when you start spraying (ensures its applied evenly), use many light coats instead of one heavy...and as jaseman said: prep work is usually the difference between a good job and a mediocre job.

·
U.S. Army Sgt. Vet.
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
***updated***

Well seems the weekend proved pretty frustrating after Fridays 100 miles.... Yes Braved the 40 degrees (Wuss as I get older!) out and took little road trip. Just went to nearby town to watch bowl games and get some hot wings with a friend.

Ok, now the frustrating part. Sat. I started preping all the plastics. Took all off and got sanded, cleaned and primed. Used Krylon like most stated. Bought a couple of kinds, fusion, regular, satin, flat. Took a piece of scrap aside and started testing coats. Satin seemed to bright and gloss wasn't even a look I was willing to try, flat was well to dull. I know this sounds stupid but I can't seem to get the color Im looking for. I want the color of my pipes. They of course have the ceramic black heat paint or something on them from factory. Or even the color of the black frame, again which is powder-coated. I'm being picky I know but I just don't want to slap something on it and thats it. Since its near impossible to find after market replacements for these pieces I guess I will have to keep trying scrap pieces till I got the look.

IDEA---> Dont take all pieces off and prime till you have your scrap piece to the look you want! LOL

Just venting a little as I was hoping to have this done by today:frown:

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
I'm going out on a limb and saying that you probably aren't going to find the exact color your looking for out of a rattle can. For the price you can't be too picky but if it's not what you want then it's not what you want. Sorry it doesn't seem to be working out for you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts