Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering how to remove these bearings without buying a blind bearing puller

was thinking about using a propane torch and a can of air duster to shrink it but im worried that a might bust the case which i dont want to do up to any suggestions thanks

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
may work, may not; turn case over as to where bearing is facing down. heat with propane as evenly around the bearing bore as you can, as quickly as you can. do not hold the heat in one spot, do not allow the case to get to the point where it is so hot that the surface starts to get what looks like spiderwebs. Once you have it hot, too hot to touch then pick the case up about 6" of the bench and drop it. Bearing may come out.
Another method is to run a bead of weld around the bearing, inner race to outer race, sort of like over the balls. About ¼ way on opposite sides. Once again turn case over where bearing is facing down, when the bearing is welded it will heat the cases up, the bearing will cool faster(and actually shrink from the weld) than the cases and likely will fall out without bumping it. I have used this method hundreds of times to remove bearings from hydraulic pumps, back when I was in hydraulics business.

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
If water (OK,or spit) will sizzle on the case, then stop heating it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Autozone loans bearing pullers. I know here they are $120.00 deposit and you get it back when you return it. So it is free. My suggestion is get the right tool for free and do it the right way.

·
Registered
407 Posts
wondering how to remove these bearings without buying a blind bearing puller

was thinking about using a propane torch and a can of air duster to shrink it but im worried that a might bust the case which i dont want to do up to any suggestions thanks
No puller necessary.

1) put the case half in the freezer overnight.

2) quickly heat the aluminum case around the bearing hot.

3) Flip the case upside down so bearing faces down, and Slam the case off a sturdy wooden surface. Bearing will fall out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i checked autozone and they dont have the size i need for the puller its an 8mm Bearing ID also I think there is a locktite material in between the bearing and the caseing cause i pulled a bearing out off the transmission and it was hard to do with a puller and heat

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
If there is locktite in there the heat will dissolve it. The freezer method will work great if you have the time. It should be in freezer for 24 hours or so to get all aspects of it frozen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts