Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 81 Kz 1100. The problem started last week, I rode the bike and suddenly lost all power. I checked the fuses and found that the main had blown. Everytime I replace the main fuse, the bike has power, but as soon as I start the bike and rev the engine, the fuse blows again. Everything else is working fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
try

Does the bike run without the Main Fuse in place? Check your battery voltage Before you start the bike it should be somewhere between 12-13 or so volts...and check your connections are clean...you have a clean ground as well. Remove ALL of your fuses on one end stand them nearly upright opr just remove them and remember what AMP fuse goes where...install the Main fuse start the bike and then one by one very slowly and with perhaps a 1 minute delay between them install the next fuse...untill you blow the main...then you should know what is overloading the Main circuit. I think that you may find that the bike is either not puttoing out enough or to much voltage... so you may have to check the rotor/stator...If you want to do it yourself you will save some money...but having a new versus used should provide some type of guarantee that the mechanics didn't miss anything, and you will have a warranty of some sort...should it mess things up... You may find that you have a capacitor blown where the points are located or just a short from the insulation rubbing on the wire inside where the points are...Anyway pulling all the fuses and still having the short (blowing fuses) certainly has to be ignition, the voltage rotor/stator setup, or a defective battery. Please let us know what you find...Hopefully you will find a shorted wire or a wire that needs some insulation...You didn't say if you had made any modifications or replaced anything in the past several weeks... Nice to see that there are more KZ bikes on the road...more than I thought...they ARE great bikes!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hope you got your problem fixed by now. My 78 KZ650 was blowing fuses like crazy when I used the turn signals. It was a corroded socket, not a bad one, just needed cleaning. Clean all the connectors on the bike. There are a lot of them!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts