Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
New to '86 GPZ900R
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My 85 ZX900A Ninja started blowing the horn and tail/brake light fuses yesterday. When they go, the tach and water temp gauge also die. I replace them and it happens again. It seems to happen when I hit the horn button but I'm not totally positive about that. I removed the fuse panel and checked the wires and plugs running into the back of it. I gave a light sanding to the plug terminals and the inside of the plug holes, cleaned off the wires with alcohol. Still the same issue. Any ideas where I should look for what I'm assuming is a short circuit? Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram.
thx in advance,
baz

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
A simple testing device can be made using a turn signal flasher can, some wire, and two alligator clips or something to make electrical contact with the fuse holder. Some of the older bikes had clips for the glass tubed fuses and the newer ones have the blade style used in todays cars.

I'd use 16 gauge wire and get some crimped on terminals that will fit the flasher can terminals. Solder the fuse access terminals so they are on tight, put the new tester in place of a fuse that blows and turn on the power.If a short exists the flasher will click, start disconecting circuits untill the clicking stops, this will tell you where to start looking. I'd use the two treminal flasher type.

A blown fuse can be caused by a wire or two rubbing together,pinched wires under a gas tank,shorted electrical connector,ignition switch internal failure, and left or right handlebar switch pods with loose/broken wires at the small contacts inside the housings.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts