Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few weeks ago I had just replaced chain and sprockets, changed the oil and balanced the wheels. I decided to take my girlfriend for a ride seeing as how the bike was all crisp now. I was taking it pretty easy, came around a slight curve and shifted from 3rd to 4th when the rear tire locks up, makes a load clunk and shuts off. I pull in the clutch and coast off to the shoulder. I start it back up but its making a bad clunking sound. I figure its caught in a false neutral. I keep messing with it and quickly learn that all I have it 1st gear and it sounds like ****. So I limp home in 1st. I start going over the bike and see that a crap load of oil had dumped out of the engine and covered the rear tire. And it was leaking oil when when the engine was running. The clunking goes away if I pull the clutch in. But if I try to shift out of first it grabs nothing. Its like every gear from 2nd-6th is neutral. I can see where the oil is dripping out but I cannot locate a crack in the case. The oil seems to be coming out of the flange where the upper and lower engine case meets.

My question is this. Should I just buy a new engine/tranny of ebay and replace. Should I try to rebuild it myself (I'm mechanically inclined and good with cars but have only done minor work to the bike). Or should I take my chances with a stealership.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts