Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.I have a Kawasaki Bayou 220, it is somewhere between 1988 and 1995 model and no vin number or engine number.
I was told It would be better to start a new thread than one that was started in 2009. I was told by a Kawasaki dealer that they do not work on the older Bayou's. So I have been trying to do this myself. I have been checking all the wires for continuity and found nothing. What do I check now? I have gone through at least 10 fuses.
If anyone has idea's please let me know.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
It will be very important to determine the year so we can find the correct wiring diagram. The VIN should be on the left side of the frame right in front of the foot peg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be very important to determine the year so we can find the correct wiring diagram. The VIN should be on the left side of the frame right in front of the foot peg.
I had the Kawasaki dealer look for 40 min and could’nt find them. The 88 thru 95 all have the same wiring diagram.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 43842

Also try this:

You may have to wipe the mud and get the rust off first:
View attachment 43843
The Bayou has been washed and there is no Vin. The Kawasaki dealer said that the Bayou is a 1988 thru 1995, so if you look at the service manual for all those years the garners is the same. So I know that the harness is OK from checking each wire for Continuity. I was just asking if there is some other things I can check?

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Ok, until someone wiser comes along lets get more information.
Does the fuse blow instantly or do you have to turn on the key?

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Ok. Hard to read but better than nothing. You mentioned you tested for continuity so I gather that means you have a multimeter? Does it have an audible beep when it finds continuity?

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Oh that's a bummer. This will be much harder without a sound cue.

You may want to invest in one for the future. Here is an example:

Beep allows you to not have to look a the meter while you flex wires and wiggle connectors making it harder to spot the brief moment that the short circuit is interrupted. Oh well.

Step one. Remove the battery. This is for your safety and to prevent damage to your ATV.

Step two. Remove the fuse and locate the side of the fuse that feeds the rest of the wiring harness.

Step three. Attach one lead of the meter to the terminal on that side of the fuse. Alligator clip leads for your meter are a great way to do this.

Step four. Set your meter to test continuity and attach the other lead to any good ground point on the frame or engine. The meter should immediately show continuity if your problem is a short to ground.

Let me know the results of the above.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh that's a bummer. This will be much harder without a sound cue.

You may want to invest in one for the future. Here is an example:

Beep allows you to not have to look a the meter while you flex wires and wiggle connectors making it harder to spot the brief moment that the short circuit is interrupted. Oh well.

Step one. Remove the battery. This is for your safety and to prevent damage to your ATV.

Step two. Remove the fuse and locate the side of the fuse that feeds the rest of the wiring harness.

Step three. Attach one lead of the meter to the terminal on that side of the fuse. Alligator clip leads for your meter are a great way to do this.

Step four. Set your meter to test continuity and attach the other lead to any good ground point on the frame or engine. The meter should immediately show continuity if your problem is a short to ground.

There is a brown wire that comes out of that red fuse holder, I followed that wire and it connects to two other brown wires one of those three wires is not attached to anything. The reading on that wire was 0.05.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is a brown wire that comes out of that red fuse holder, I followed that wire and it connects to two other brown wires one of those three wires is not attached to anything. The reading on that wire was 0.05.
I don’t see any brown wire that it could attack to.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
What we really need is for you to start at the fuse by following the steps I provided.
What kind of fuse does your bike use? Picture of fuse holder will help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey!! GTO! Listen up!

WFO is trying to fix your electrical, follow the directions...

AND take several pictures of as much of the wiring as you can see.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts