Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - I have been looking into riding pants and think I want to go with riding jeans like draggin' jeans rather than chaps (just can't picture me in chaps). After reading reviews, all the talk of crashing and protection has got me nervous - I am now thinking of adding knee/shin and hip armour to my riding gear in addtion to my joe rocket phoenix jacket w/ armour that I wear.

Q: Any one else use armour to protect knees, shin and hips in the event of a crash?

Update: I think I found the perfect answer FOR ME - surfing the net I found www.bohn-armor-pants.com - spendy so will have to save for them, but I think it will give me the peace of mind I am looking for (in addition to the draggin jeans).

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Nope.

I dress for the ride, not the slide.
Levis and a t-shirt with fingerless gloves if it's over 75.
Heavy leather jacket and gauntlets if it's under 75, chaps under 60.

But don't listen to me... I don't wear a helmet in Arizona.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I always use armor in my leather jacket, mainly because it is no big deal because it stays in all the time. I also bought hip and knee armor for my Hood kevlar lined jeans, but I have found that I seldom use it. I have to remove it every time I wash the jeans, and it is not all that easy to put in and take out. I'll probably regret it if I go down...

·
Recycled Rider
583 Posts
all the talk of crashing and protection has got me nervous
Having an educated reason for what we do/don't do is a good thing IMHO.
We all end up choosing how much risk we are willing to adjust to.
I wear a FF helmet, jeans and thick leather jacket. Often I wear chaps. But then, where I live, the temp is frequently in the 40s and 50s in the summer mornings.
When I visit my parents in S.E. Oklahoma, there's no way I could ride safely in a heavy leather jacket and chaps in 100+ heat.
The only pad I have in my jacket is for my back.
I do always were my FF.
Oh yeah, I always wear gloves

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
On my dirt bikes, same way: boots, body armor, the whole enchilada.
+1

I am a bit lax on my chest protector. I wore it regularly for about 6 months after seeing a guy perforated by a Manzanita. Now I leave it in the bag and just stay away from drunk quad riders :biggrin:

I was considering knee braces, thinking that it would stabilize the knee and force the break to the femur or calf (similar for high-end boots, protect the ankle and foot at the "expense" of the lower leg).

Then an EMT reminded me that a broken femur is quite often fatal, especially 30 miles from the truck, and knees are relatively simple to repair, and even with a mangled knee, if the bike is rideable, I would probably be able to nurse it back or to help.

My job actually poses a higher risk than riding... in fact, a guy working for a partner company was hit almost a year ago... knocked his head into the curb. Severe brain injury, in the hospital and special care center for 9 months. He was wearing all of the required OSHA safety gear... the hard hat was a Frisbee.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ride with the draggin' jeans. They look close enough to levi's no one notices and I have had minor road rash before and it isn't pleasant. My Icon jacket has soft armor and is very comfortable also.

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
But(t)....

Nope.

I dress for the ride, not the slide.
Levis and a t-shirt with fingerless gloves if it's over 75.
Heavy leather jacket and gauntlets if it's under 75, chaps under 60.

But don't listen to me... I don't wear a helmet in Arizona.
Rich,
I keep saying that too! Usually right before I slide!! My bike LOVES me! I am the best, big soft bumper it could have!! I won't even go into what my bod has gone through, but the bike has had only a bent clutch handle, small scratches on the emblems, a bent brake pedal, and now broken mirrors! (and I broke 'em) You notice I seem to go kerplunk a lot for an old experienced rider? Wonder why is that?? Where is this? Why are we talking? Wait, this is typing, not talking! I think I am.........................................................................:shock: :shock:

And you don't NEED a helmet!! With that much shiny skin up there, you'll skid like Teflon! Ha!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Down her in oz it's hot most of the time and i ride with full face lid, draggin jeans and a good dri-rider jacket that has body armour, the breeze passes straight through the mesh to keep me cool and if it gets cold i just slip in the quilted liner that comes with it. i did have to sacrifice looking like a hells angel in leather but the gear i use looks good anyway.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I waiting to see whether I'm paying Uncle or he's paying me would like to get a pair of JR Alter-Ego pants they have the CE armor

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wear leather jacket with armour in internal pockets, Gloves and skid lid. No armour in pants but can be either thick jeans or leathers depends on the weather.

·
Registered
287 Posts
FF helmet, one of my 2 jackets with CE armor, firstgear or JR overpants with CE armor, leather gloves with sliders on them and boots with the pads as well...
I worked at the fire dept too long to think jeans and a shirt were gong to suffice in even a slow slide, I'd like to be the one cruising with no windshield and the hair blowing in the breeze, but then I have flashbacks of some cases of roadrash I've had to deal with and then I strap on the armor, with a lighter color its not bad in the summer and the pants have panels to remove...
I'd rather wipe away sweat than the rash...

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
don't wear anything with armor. I just wear jeans, t-shirt hooded sweatshirt if its cool and steel toes boots. Thats it. Also a skid lid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wear draggin jeans and the draggin shirt (it's very lightweight), if cold I wear a leather jacket that does have armor. I also wear leather boots and gloves.

I'm used to the clothes and they don't bother me at all. I find the draggin jeans very comfortable.

·
Driver of the Motobago
181 Posts
As a veteran of numerous high speed get-offs over the last 40 years of riding, it seems the only permanent obvious scars I have are on the thighs, elbows and shoulders. Half the crashes were due to youthful malpractice and the other half were due to mechanical problems and the idiots that for some reason didn’t die at birth like they were supposed too. So, if I’m riding in heavy traffic I’m wrapped in leather, if I’m cruising the back roads, whatever keeps me warm is all I worry about. I read some where that a pair of jeans burns thru in about 15 feet while good leathers take about 95 feet to get to the meat, I guess that really is a moot point when your bombing along at 100+.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts