Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Margaritaville
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this posted in the wrong area ( newbie :-D ) so let me repost it here.
"I just picked up a 94 vulcan 1500 it runs fine for the first 15 minutes or so around town then suddenly it starts acting like the clutch is slipping. In other-words after that elapsed time or miles ridden when I start to accelerate I really have to give it the gas to get it finally moving. If I then park it for a bit it will accelerate normally until it heats up again. Any idea's?"

D-Day did come thru with one interesting idea he said to check the clutch cable adjustment, if it's not tensioned properly when the oil get hot it might start slipping because of not making proper contact

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Do you mean:

When you apply throttle in gear, you hear the revs go up but not the speed with it? That would be a slipping clutch.

But, when you say:

"I really have to give it the gas to get it finally moving."

Do you mean the engine hesiatates or loses power until the throttle is opend wide? That is unrelated to the clutch.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
If it is the clutch slipping. I'd change the oil first. Then be sure it's adjusted properly. If the engine is losing power after being warmed you may have a weak battery or problems with a coil.

·
Margaritaville
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"When you apply throttle in gear, you hear the revs go up but not the speed with it? "
That's exactly what is happening after the bike has gone about 10 miles and fully warmed up.
I have it in the shop now so will have them change the oil and check the clutch cable and see what happens

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yeah, a big +1 to changing the oil. Especially since its a new to you bike, thats one of the first things I do. 10w-40 should be fine for you this time of year.

·
Margaritaville
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I am starting to wonder about the shop I took my bike too. I stopped after work today.since they have the bike until thursday or friday when the tire comes in and they can mount it. So I explained the slipping clutch problem right away he said you probably need new plates. Didn't even consider other options mmmm? Anyway when he gets the tire on he will take it out and get it warmed up and check on the slippage. I told him just report back to me do not do anything. One last point that's causing me to wonder is, I figured hey he has the bike for a couple of days, I have a brand new Gorilla alarm so I asked him to install it. He said this might be expensive. I told him forget it, it takes 20 minutes I'll just buy a 8mm drill bit and do it my self.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
If the PO put in car oil it may cause slippage in the clutch as it is wet (in the oil). If so it may take a few runs with the right oil in there to remedy the problem. Many car oils have enhanced lubricity components added.

·
Margaritaville
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All right yipee !!! Got the bike back from the shop and the oil was the problem. Drove the bike for about an hour no slippage at all. Then ( isn't there always a then?) 1 block from the house sudden backfiring, loss of power. the bike shut down. I managed to fire it up again but running very rough got with in 1/2 a block and died again, no power, no electric nada. Pushed it home. I am going to have a beer and go to bed

·
Registered
895 Posts
All right yipee !!! Got the bike back from the shop and the oil was the problem. Drove the bike for about an hour no slippage at all. Then ( isn't there always a then?) 1 block from the house sudden backfiring, loss of power. the bike shut down. I managed to fire it up again but running very rough got with in 1/2 a block and died again, no power, no electric nada. Pushed it home. I am going to have a beer and go to bed
Sounds like theres very little fuel in it.
I'm no expert on road bikes but my 2stroke MX bike backfires, loses power and stalls when its very low on fuel.

·
Margaritaville
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now checking the battery, seems they guy I bought it from had only driven it once a month ago and then when I went to buy it he had to take the battery out and put it on a trickle charger overnight. But when I checked the battery today the fluid level was down to the plates. So I topped it up with distilled water and have it back on the trickle charger. Who knew that after you started a bike you still needed the battery to keep it going or that if the battery went low when driving it, it would shut down? *lol*:-o

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
All is good then? Glad we could help.

·
Margaritaville
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like theres very little fuel in it.
I'm no expert on road bikes but my 2stroke MX bike backfires, loses power and stalls when its very low on fuel.
Although the gas gauge is broken I had only gone 37 miles since the last fill up so that wasn't it.

"antiq All is good then? Glad we could help. "
Hopefully that was it I pick up the battery in a couple of hours and will see what happens next. :cool:

·
Margaritaville
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alll Right I took it out today after the new battery and it seems everthing is working, the clutch doesnt slip, the bike started, ran, nothing happend bad!!

LOOK OUT there could now be a reggae5 coming to a neighborhood near you on his 14 year old vulcan 1500 and his 6 decade old body :smile:

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
You're welcome here! But you might want to wait out the white crap!

·
Margaritaville
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys you were fantastic on helping me out so far I really appreciate all the input. To recap the bike was sitting for I don't know how long, but I do know it was started 1 month ago. O.K. now I have the clutch probem fixed thanks you the forum members. Now I can ride everyday yipee !!. Next problem is when I shut the bike off it backfires one time. Suggestions?

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Sounds a tad rich. Try changing the air filter.

·
Margaritaville
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Changing the air filter to "another brand" or just to a new and maybe cleaner one? ( I haven't taken off the covers yet, I read somewhere you had to go thru all this stuff IE: removing the gas tank etc... which sounded strange. But got the Clymer manuel the other day and it show'd me how easy it was )

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
A nice clean air filter of your choice would eliminate the possibility of a rich mixture resulting from a clogged air filter. On your bike I've no idea what gymnastics are needed to change said filter.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If the filter does not stop the backfire upon shut down, then I would change the spark plugs. If the backfire continues, then you likely have diaphragms that need changing in the carburetors. I have yet to see carb diaphragms that live more than about 5 years with the fuel we have now days, and the 94 probably went through the MTBE additive flap before the EPA eliminated it last year, and that stuff eats all the polymers (flexible material) out of a fuel system.

If the latter is the case, you will probably feel a power flutter when you nail the throttle on the highway and try to gain speed from about 25 to 60 or so.

Do not give up, you have an excellent bike that likely just needs some TLC.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts