Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, how on earth do insurance companies come up with their numbers for sportbikes. 21, male, 2009 ninja 250, never even been pulled over, took MSF, I've had two companies tell me $1000+ every SIX MONTHS. For that I could seriously just make payments on three ninjas and if anything ever happened to one I'd just toss it and ride one of the others for that price.

I've tried Geico, State Farm, Progressive, USAA(uses progressive unfortunately). Geico and state farm were the worst amazingly enough with the 2k+ a year nonsense. At this rate I'm probably going to have to do the 1200 a year Progressive if I can't find anything better.

Anyone here use a lesser known company that doesn't try to rip you off just because their service is required by law?

·
Registered
466 Posts
First off don't mention the word "Ninja" when you ask for quotes. When they want to know what type/model it is just tell them EX250. I use a less popular company that was recommended to me by my uncle who was an MSF instructor at the time. https://www.dairylandcycle.com/motorcycle-insurance/
It does not matter what you tell the insurance company your model is. The vin # will tell them exactly what it is.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,316 Posts
What are you putting down for your limits? Deductables?

You may just want to go with liability if you have low limits and high deductables (otherwise raise those deductables). Bike's worth between 3 and 4 grand...if you have to pay 1200/year, you'd be able to buy another one in 3 years anyway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you putting down for your limits? Deductables?

You may just want to go with liability if you have low limits and high deductables (otherwise raise those deductables). Bike's worth between 3 and 4 grand...if you have to pay 1200/year, you'd be able to buy another one in 3 years anyway.
I actually said that very thing to the insurance company, "Why am I paying that much, I can just buy another bike at that rate". This was everything at a minimum and without medical because I already have that taken care of. Its crazy talk.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,849 Posts
It does not matter what you tell the insurance company your model is. The vin # will tell them exactly what it is.
I've got 2 HS friends that have been insurance agents for Farm Bureau and Stat Farm for 20+ years and neither one of them look up any info by vin # when giving quotes and in the 40+ years I've been buying insurance I can't recall one ever asking me for a vin # to give me a quote.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah I was sorta in the same boat there progressive wanted about 4200 for the year for my 09 zx6r, geico about 3k, esurance was about 2200 and so on. I finally found one called pirate insurance that would do it for about 800 a year which came out to about 69 bucks a month, I figured given all the other quotes I wouldnt find anything much cheaper than that so I just went with them.

·
Freshman
628 Posts
I've got 2 HS friends that have been insurance agents for Farm Bureau and Stat Farm for 20+ years and neither one of them look up any info by vin # when giving quotes and in the 40+ years I've been buying insurance I can't recall one ever asking me for a vin # to give me a quote.
I have always been asked for a VIN every time I've been quoted.

Whether they ask or not, when you ultimately finalize the deal, a VIN will be mandatory, it needs to be listed in your policy documents.

At that time, the the policy cost will be adjusted accordingly.

As for the high insurance cost for the OP, unfortunately it has a lot to do with his age.

Prices will start to go down as he gets older and the more experience he has on the saddle.

MD

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
State Farm is known for giving amazingly good rates when you have multiple policies. You might try calling them back, and getting rates for both renters insurance, and the bike. I've heard of people actually having their insurance go down when adding another policy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 38 with a clean record, live in a low-crime area, took the MSF, and have a garage and even with all of that Allstate and Progressive still wanted over $1K for a Ninja 650R or a Suzuki SV650. It wasn't until I actually gave them (progressive at this point as I got the impression that Allstate wasn't interested in my buisiness for just a motorcycle) the VIN that the quote dropped to $350/ year. Good luck!

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
I'm 38 with a clean record, live in a low-crime area, took the MSF, and have a garage and even with all of that Allstate and Progressive still wanted over $1K for a Ninja 650R or a Suzuki SV650. It wasn't until I actually gave them (progressive at this point as I got the impression that Allstate wasn't interested in my buisiness for just a motorcycle) the VIN that the quote dropped to $350/ year. Good luck!
Can I ask what coverage you got for $350 from Progressive? I'm looking at an SV650 and a FZ6R and the rates are high. I'm 48 with a clean record so that's not the issue.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,540 Posts
pay about 800 a year for all three bikes thru geico..

that being said...wife is considered a newbie, and the zx14 comp/collision alone is 60% of the policy...and i have additional item coverage of 3500 reimb on each bike with towing

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,540 Posts
Texas is a higher state for ins, esp down south cuz of uninsured motorists here...you know the insuance companies get away with legally discriminating against age, sex, income, credit, race (think about zip codes and population areas)

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Texas is a higher state for ins, esp down south cuz of uninsured motorists here...you know the insuance companies get away with legally discriminating against age, sex, income, credit, race (think about zip codes and population areas)
I think I have a great rate thru Progressive for my 900 with full coverage, towing, etc. for about $600 / year, but adding the sportbike they want about 300% more premium!

·
Registered
10 Posts
2thdr, Honestly, I don't remember the exact details of the policy, but what I do remember is that it's basically the bare minimum with theft coverage. I had to get that since I financed the bike. I also chose no medical coverage since I am otherwise covered. I actually did get a quote for a GSXR and the R6 too, but they were both like $2000/year (without providing VIN's)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.