Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Can I ask what coverage you got for $350 from Progressive? I'm looking at an SV650 and a FZ6R and the rates are high. I'm 48 with a clean record so that's not the issue.
I pay $370 (if paid in full, if spread out into payments it's $420)a year for a VN1500 and an SV650S, both 05's both paid for and both w/full coverage year round including collision. I am 50/Single and have had an "M" on my license since I was 16. This is thru my agent w/Progressive.

My homeowners and cars are thru someone other than progressive, but w/the same agent.

· Workin' to ride
559 Posts
I pay $370 (if paid in full, if spread out into payments it's $420)a year for a VN1500 and an SV650S, both 05's both paid for and both w/full coverage year round including collision. I am 50/Single and have had an "M" on my license since I was 16. This is thru my agent w/Progressive.

My homeowners and cars are thru someone other than progressive, but w/the same agent.
That's a great rate! Must be your years of experience and good record. Do you use a local, independent agent? I'm thinking that may be the way to go instead of trying to do it all myself on the internet...

· Registered
466 Posts
I've got 2 HS friends that have been insurance agents for Farm Bureau and Stat Farm for 20+ years and neither one of them look up any info by vin # when giving quotes and in the 40+ years I've been buying insurance I can't recall one ever asking me for a vin # to give me a quote.
If you look at your insurance policy you will see the vin# listed. You should ask your freinds about it. You can get a quote without a vin# but the price will change if the model you told them is different or the engine size is different. There is not a one price fits all.

· Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,849 Posts
If you look at your insurance policy you will see the vin# listed. You should ask your freinds about it. You can get a quote without a vin# but the price will change if the model you told them is different or the engine size is different. There is not a one price fits all.
I know that. All I said was that I've never been asked for or had to provide a vin # to get a quote.

· Registered
35 Posts
thats crazey... I am a 24 year old female. I have one speeding ticket on my record now...but before it was so pretty. i have a ninja 250 and told progressive of that. my insurance is 177/year for liability...my bike isnt workth enough to get full coverage at 500/yr with a 500 deductible. If i crash it ill buy a new 600

· Union Strong
1,142 Posts
That's a great rate! Must be your years of experience and good record. Do you use a local, independent agent? I'm thinking that may be the way to go instead of trying to do it all myself on the internet...
Yes, local independent. I have my homeowners and vehicles thru them with Hanover so I get a multi policy discount on them and the bikes are thru progressive w/a multi-bike policy......my 1500 was 225 yearly b/4 the Suzuki was added. Both bikes break down on policy to be about 5 more for the 1500.

I have found that in the long run having an agent can be cheaper and have finally got my 2 young men to figure it out also.

She did tell me that had a purchased a Harley of the same vintage of the Kawi........it would have been about 25 dollars cheaper, go figure.

· Registered
131 Posts
the Vin doesn't mean much. It's just that some insurance companies don't like sportbikes and consider all Ninjas as such. Some will consider the 250 as a standard. I believe that's what my company did. I also had search around for full insurance in Calif on my 250 (500 ded, no medical)and all the big name places wanted big money until I tried Markel. They got me a policy for just $334/year and I live in one of the worst zip codes for insurance rates.

But when I was looking to upgrade to a Ninja 650R or a Yamaha FZ6R they wanted over $1300 a year, which is just silly! The cheapest my new broker could find was about $800. So it's usually the bike's fault, then the company, and lastly the driver's record.

I just wish they had more full fairinged bikes that aren't such crotch rockets that they make insurance companies go crazy.

· Night Rider
802 Posts
I'm glad I have an 08 Vulcan 900 cruiser, with $100-$300-$50 limits/full coverage with $250 deductible, I only pay $225 for a full year with Progressive. I am also 38 years old and receive discounts for a claim free renewal and being a homeowner.

· Registered
286 Posts
I have my insurance through either progressive I think (doesnt matter, they were nearly all the same). I pay about 250-300 every year. They take into account that I wont be riding for 6 months out of the year, but it is full year insurance.

I have NO insurance for my bike. Just liability, just what I need to be legal.

I have a '93 600r. I dont know how you get those outrageous quotes. Can I recommend trying to get your quote online? That how I did it. I went to each company's online site, got each quote and went with the lowest.

I was 22 years old when I got the insurance, and it has since gone down (25 yrs old now). It was never over $350 for a full year.

If you have your own bike covered, that will definitely make your insurance rates go up becasue almost everyone drops their bike sooner or later and they are fairly expensive to replaced things on.

· Registered
10 Posts
im 20 yrs old, my gf is 21 yrs old and both of us are on the policy for 2 bikes (98 suzuki tu250 and 07 genuine buddy). We only pay $280 a year for liability and the highest deductible with progressive. i wonder how much it will be when i add my 03 kawasaki zx6r LOL :X

but in all honesty, adding my gf to the policy actually made it cheaper for me :D (we both have perfect driving records)

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Mystery solved~

Louisiana is apparently ranked 8th on the US's worst drivers list, and has one of the highest percentages of uninsured drivers in the country. Seems like the solution is to leave this hell whole, must finish college asap.

· Workin' to ride
559 Posts
the Vin doesn't mean much. It's just that some insurance companies don't like sportbikes and consider all Ninjas as such. Some will consider the 250 as a standard. I believe that's what my company did. I also had search around for full insurance in Calif on my 250 (500 ded, no medical)and all the big name places wanted big money until I tried Markel. They got me a policy for just $334/year and I live in one of the worst zip codes for insurance rates.

But when I was looking to upgrade to a Ninja 650R or a Yamaha FZ6R they wanted over $1300 a year, which is just silly! The cheapest my new broker could find was about $800. So it's usually the bike's fault, then the company, and lastly the driver's record.

I just wish they had more full fairinged bikes that aren't such crotch rockets that they make insurance companies go crazy.
My experience exactly...$635 \ year for my 900 Custom with full coverage, $100 deductible on collision and comprehensive. $1500 / year for FZ6R, same coverage. Even dropping the coverages didn't drop the premium much.

· Registered
818 Posts
A few comments -

First, if you can use a car title or something else as collateral on the loan, get a clear title so you don't have to run full coverage. Then insure only liability, fire/theft/vandalizm, uninsured motorist. The comprehensive is a major cost due to all the claims whenever a sportbike, which the 250 is, falls over or is dropped. It's all the plastic.

Second, see how much it is for 12 month. It seems the insurance sometimes costs more for the layoff period. Could be because most inexperienced or "fair weather" riders only run 6 or 9 month policies. I think some insurance companies who know what they're looking at see the 12 month policy carrier as a more skilled rider who will maintain skills by riding year around when possible. I've not had a layoff period on my insurance in probably at least the last thirty years. I found out that sometimes the 9/3 month policies cost more when I was selling bikes for a living and talked to agents semi-frequently. I found some were less expensive for the full year policy.

· Politicians' Nightmare
1,870 Posts
Insurance for my '07 VN900 LT (liability/collision/comprehensive) with Progressive is $195/year, no medical since I have other coverage for that. I'm over 65 with a clean record.

Some states allow insurance companies to use credit reports as a factor in determining premiums costs. From what agents say, that can change rates considerably.

· Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
Progressive is also sold thru agents and when I bought my Mean Streak, the dealer had business cards from some agent in Texas that supposedly discounted Progressive 30-40%. I preferred to deal direct and my premiums aren't that much anyway, but if your progressive bill is big, you might check this out.

· Registered
1 Posts
32, clean record, I pay about $280 every 6 months (560 a year) with state farm for an ex500, but it is a 2009 and I also have comprehensive and collision (which is more than the liability).

From SF, liability for me was ~70 per 6 months. would have been ~50 for an EX250 and, oddly, only 50 for an er-6n. Maybe I should take the fairings off my 500 and send them a picture?

Oh, and hello.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.