Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock bolts are too short for my brackets. I'm assuming it's a metric M8 but have no way to gauge it. Does anyone know the bolt size required for mounting saddle bag brackets in my 900 ? Thread size/pitch, length, etc?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Kevin,
Here's what Cobra sent with the bag supports for my 900:
2 – M8 x 30mm Button Head Bolts
2 – M8 x 35mm Button Head Bolts
2 – Spacer, Short .200” Short
2 – Spacer, Long .500” Long

If you buy bolts, the size is actually M8x1.25 (they had two thread pitch sizes)
Don't remember if the longer bolts go in the front or rear holes though.

Later I ended up adding the Cobra sissybar, then hard mounted the bags. Made my own studs w/ M8 all-thread and some nuts & washers from Ace hdwr.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, Maybe I just did something stupid....

I got these brackets for my bags...

Should the brackets stick out or in? I have them facing out and my bags don't hang down straight.

I put the **** things on backwards, didn't I? :oops:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Cobra's don't have the offset like your's.
I had mine bolted on the wrong side for a few days. Couldn't figure out why the tie down points on the bags didn't match up very well with the supports.

You'd think they could put a sticker or tag with an "L" & "R" on them.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
I have those same brackets for mine. I really don't like that they go in like they do. Seems like flat would give better support. My concern is clearance. When I held the brackets up to my bike, it looks like the belt guard could hit the bracket in a dip. I'll know soon enough. I'm putting mine on this weekend. I'm gonna cut the center flap out of my saddlebags and direct mount them.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hard mounting throw over's

Here's how I hard mounted mine.
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/810324-post23.html

I've since added a piece of thin aluminum sheet on the inside of the bags for extra rigidity. Don't have any straps holding the bags to the supports now. Also keeps the holes in the bags where the studs pass through from getting larger. Also bought some rubber caps to cover the thread ends inside the bags.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
I saw your How-To thread and decided to mount mine the same way. The only difference was I used a Nyloc nut, adjusted it to be the same size as the original bolt, to go inside the cobra mount recess. I only used 3" standoffs and they came out perfect. All my hardware is Stainless Steel. I didn't need to use anything on the inside to stiffen my bags. They don't flop around. You came up with a great idea there. Thanks!

:D
Aif

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
OK, Maybe I just did something stupid....

I got these brackets for my bags...

Should the brackets stick out or in? I have them facing out and my bags don't hang down straight.

I put the **** things on backwards, didn't I? :oops:
I don't think these will work on a 900. At least, work correctly. I have just spent all day trying to mount these dang things. If you mount them where they stick in, they will hit the caliper and belt guard when the suspension compresses. If they stick out, you have to use over 1 1/2" of spacers which looks terrible. I tried every combination, they won't work. Finally I got fed up and took them to my anvil. I straightened them out just to see how that would fit. PERFECT! Now the chrome is all cracked up but at least now I know what works. Gonna order some Cobra guards.

Unfortunately this is what happened to the chrome

The outer bracket I made

The inner bracket

1 - 11 of 11 Posts