Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boot Poll - What kind of boots do you ride with? Do they keep your feet warm & toasty? Do you have different summer / winter riding boots?

I currently ride with a pair of vented jungle boots (when it's cold boy do feet get chilly). I'm looking at getting some cooler weather riding boots - thus the boot poll - any suggestions?

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
I dont have any winter boots for riding as if its cold there snow on the ground. But in the summer I wear a pair of black steel toe caterpillar boots. This spring I might look for something without steeltoes MAYBE to ride when its cool out as the steel or titanium plate gets VERY cold and aim it all right at the toes.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have a pair of thinulate work boots Durham that have worked well down to the upper 20's my fingers give out before that even with my thinulate leather gloves there only good to the upper 30's. The real problem is the heat loss from the wind factor, the same gloves would work fine to sub zero temps but riding at 45 -50 mph accelerates heat loss.

·
Notsonewbie
52 Posts
I ride usually right up until there is snow/ice on the road and as my wife tells me, I start riding WAYYYY too early in the new season. I have a pair of workboots from Mark's WorkWearhouse that I bought for about $45(cdn). Called WorkPro or something... kind of generic, but last year for Rolling Thunder, I left my place (Dartmouth Nova Scotia) and there was ice in my driveway and by the time I hit the Jersey Turnpike, it was well over 90F at road level and my feet didn't even register as a 2nd thought, let me tell you. They keep my feet nice and warm in the winter and they breathe enough that my feet don't overheat in the summer. Just my few cents worth.

·
Registered
533 Posts
military style combat boots...year around....but, change the style of socks for the different seasons.....two pair of thin ones in the summer... and a thin and thick wool in the winter....never a problem

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
military style combat boots...year around....but, change the style of socks for the different seasons.....two pair of thin ones in the summer... and a thin and thick wool in the winter....never a problem
How are these when it is wet, do your feet stay dry? I am trying to find something that is going to fit as most of the bike boots do not fit my calf's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the jungle boots have kept my feet dry, but I typically do not ride when it is raining. I do have a dirt bike and have taken it off road through some wet areas and the boots did have minor leakage through the vents, but my feet not get soaked. Guess it depends on how wet it is.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Just would like to find something that is going to fit, be comfortable in summer and able to keep feet dry in winter if you get caught out in the rain.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Just got a pair of Red Wing Motorcycle boots for riding and for work.

Features
• Full grain, water resistant leather
• Side metal zipper for easy on and off
• Goodyear welt construction for durability
• ASTM approved
• Removable footbed for cushion comfort
• $148.00 MSRP (U.S. Dollars) Actual price may vary by retail location

Steel Toe
Electrical Hazard

I like the fact that the zipper is on the outside.
Red Wing Shoes

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have two sets of Timberland Pro Series bots, one black leather with steel toes and another tan leather, Ive had Tim/Pros for almost 5yrs and only needed to replace them once. (the black pair is original) Absolutley recommend these 100%!!8)

·
Registered
55 Posts
aren't steel toes and laces bad for riding?

I've always liked Red Wing boots, and the outside zippers look useful, but do I want boots with steel toes and laces?

Don't steel toe boots affect shifting? It seems like the toe cap would get in the way.

Also, seems like boots without laces would be better, as in theory, laces could come loose and get tangled in a chain.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
I've always liked Red Wing boots, and the outside zippers look useful, but do I want boots with steel toes and laces?

Don't steel toe boots affect shifting? It seems like the toe cap would get in the way.

Also, seems like boots without laces would be better, as in theory, laces could come loose and get tangled in a chain.
I've always worn steel toes and never had a problem with shifting. I guess it's possible for the laces to come undone and get in the chain but I double tie my laces since I use the zipper to get the boots on and off. The problem I feel is that with slip on boots the chance of them coming off during a spill is much greater. I don't see how if the boots are laced tight that there is anyway the boot could come off. I've also never had the laces come undone while riding but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
My personal choice, Danner Ft. Lewis Boots-

Created with the help of two career Army officers from Fort Lewis, Washington, this is the standard other military boots try to live up to. Available with or without 200-gram Thinsulate Insulation to handle cold weather. Vibram 148 Kletterlift Outsole GORE-TEX Waterproof Liner Forscom Approved

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Even if the laces don't come undone, they won't keep your ankles from folding under impact. Zippers are better, and race boots are the best. I know they don't go with the cruiser look, but do the best job.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have jungle boots also for warm weather. Love my jungle boots. For cold weather I have a pair of Sorel Conquest boots. I have some insulative insoles in them, and I love them. They cost just over $120, but it takes a good 150+ miles at 70mph in sub 40 degree temps to get my feet cold.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yep, I guess that wearing combat boots for the last 40yrs of riding has me thinking that it is the only way to go.... but, I am slow to change... I rode my 72 750 till 85.... then my 85 till 99 then the 99 till 06 well, see I am getting better :) of course there were little short affairs during those periods...:) oops and the current 06 till..............

1 - 20 of 21 Posts