Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, my roommate and I went for our first "real" ride together. We both have 500Rs. We went out to an 8 mile stretch of very twisty 15-25 mph turns that go up and over a mountain. I had been there before several times and had pushed myself to the limit each time, growing in confidence and ability each time. This was the first time I had been there with my Sport Demon tires (stock sizes), so I was really looking forward to it.

After a few, how-ya-doin runs, I started hitting the turns hard. Around a sharp lefty, I was pleasantly surprised by a light scuff of my boots on the ground for the first time :wink: . We stopped for a break and I noticed I hadn't quite used up all the tire had to offer in the lean, and it didn't feel like I was pushing it nearly as much as with the stock tires. So, I started hitting the turns even harder and eventually got to the point that I would just drag the outter edges of my boots all the way around the turns. It is such a rush to be that close to the ground. All along, I was thinking of how...uncomfortable....it would be to have my toe grab, so I was very careful to keep my toe up and only allow the side of the boot to hit.

Well, my roommate had the unforntunate experience to test out the toe-down process. Luckily he had just bought a pair of 8" boots, otherwise would probably have a broken ankle. Around a turn and not expecting it to happen, his toe hit the asphalt first and grabbed, bent his foot back and under the foot peg. Luckily, he was able to straighten the bike a bit and get his foot out while still keeping the bike under control. Took the leather right off the top of the boot and gave him a sore ankle, but nothing compared to what could have happened.

So, moral of the story.........keep your feet close to the bike if you're leaning it hard. As cool as the shaved off edges of my boots look because of dragging them around turns, I don't think I'll allow them to touch anymore.

PS- Ended up using the entire width of both front and rear tires :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

kewl!! keeping it within your ability is the right move :wink:

watch for that sand/gravel though in them corners its a PITA :wink:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Get the palm of your feet on the pegs, thats where they go when your pushing your bike hard, it also helps you keep the weight lower on the bike. You'll have a hard time pushing your bike to the edges of the tires with the stock rearsets, they leave much to be desired in ways of clearance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did shift my feet to palms on pegs after a bit. Did not really feel as comfortable taking the turns with my feet in this position, but it did keep them up and outta the way. Thanks for the advice though.

I took the tires all the way over, roughing up the rubber all the way to and past the edges, so I'm not sure how much more lean the bike has, but I haven't rubbed anything on the bike yet. I expected to rub the lower cowling, but haven't. My buddy did rub the paint off the lower cowling of his, but his bike is a few years old and he's a few pounds heavier than I, so maybe this is the difference.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Weight will make a difference, I put smaller dogbones on the back of my bike, which raised the rear. I have yet to scrap any pieces of it since, but I do have trouble getting all the way to the edge of the 150 tire. I can literally stick my elbow out in one place and touch it to the ground, and yet, I still have 1/3" of tire left.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I dont have any problems getting my toes down, i usually keep the arch of my foot on the pegs, and i wiegh a good 240lbs. I recently bought some titanium toe sliders for my sidi boots, LOADS of sparks :D looks best when your riding at night :lol:. The only problem i had was on a mini size roundabout, went round once, came back and used the roundabout to U-turn (one of my mates was walking home withing eyesight so i was showing off) got the bike down, touched toes, touched pegs, touched something else (either centerstand or exhaust) rear tyre lifts up, i end up in the kerb. :(

Back to your original post, i have never had a problem with my toes grabbing, i didnt even know to be worried about it :oops:.

I am running a pair of BT45's in the stock sizes and i still have a good cm of unworn tyre at the side which i cant get to without something on the bike touching down, and as such if your riding a stock bike i am surprised you can get your whole tyre down (unless you know some tricks i dont)
I also have had problems with my lower fairing (belly pan) touching, especially when riding 2 up, i clipped it to the point where i think something bent and i now have a nice melted line where the exhaust was pressing against the inside of the fairing. :?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hehe, reminds me of when I scraped my boot on a roundabout... was waiting setting up for a shift after the turn, kinda forgot that makes my toe stick out a bit :wink:

·
Registered
605 Posts
this is why people wear ankle high boots, in case they keep their foot under the shifter around a corner and boom, the front of the shoe snaps backwards breaking the ankle at the peg...word of advise, keep your toes up in turns

·
Registered
380 Posts
Huh, I thought the ankle high boots were for protecting your ankle in a fall. Anyways, it was the first time it happened in 3400 miles so it's not something I do all the time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts