Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got an EX500, and it is my first bike. I live in NYC, so I've been starting it every once in a while to keep the engine in good shape, since I do still want to ride it every once in a while before i retire it to the garage for good.

However, yesterday I noticed that while turned off I couldn't roll the bike even though the clutch was in. I always assumed that if the clutch is in, the motor and the gears are disengaged. Apparently not, I guess I was in first.

So can somebody confirm that this is actually how it is designed or is this how all bikes are, or is there something wrong with my bike? Is there a reson why a bike's gears and clutch should function that way?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if you had it IN GEAR with the CLUTCH PULLED IN then it should still roll with some resistance. did you have the bike warmed up when you tried this ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
clutch probs

Hi:
The clutch plates are stuck. rock the bike back and forth, they'll break loose. Starting the bike and running it dosnt really help it. It just drains the battery and fouls the plugs idleing it for long periods of time. Take it for a ride for about 10 miles or or put it away for the winter. Winterize it and trickle charge the battery a few times a week. (Hook the charger up to the light on the garage door opener for instance) Running it for 10 minuets does it no good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts