Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wide open throttle
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 VN900 custom, just wondering if it can be bored out a bigger displacment/ like the HDSportster 880 -1200 kit. I almost feel like i want more power, but i really like the look of the bike and would just like more power. I guess the question is can the VN900 be bored out bigger and for a resonable price and not wreck the rest of the bike, tranny and so on? Help me out

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think you'll fin the answer is no. There is just no space in the cyl to put a big bore kit due to the water cooling (unlike the HDs).... However, an air kit, good pipes and fuel processor with proper dyno tuning should really wake up the 900. I have done these mods to my 800, and it is now a completely different animal.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I think the 883/1200 mod involves replacing the jugs, just like the 95" kit for the 1500.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Try to get a hold of VN1500. He's a custom kawa mech in Ohio. He's trying to get me a list of some work that he did for a VN800. It involved a cam from megacams, wiseco pistons (.30 over) and a port and polish head job and the 800 went to an amazing 106whp on the dyno!!! I know that it's pricey as he told me the labor on the head work was $900 alone, but what you're asking CAN be done, you just need to be willing to part with what could be about two grand, and find some one knows what they are doing and can do it. Good luck though and let me know what you decide and what VN1500 can tell you.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The only thing "wrong" with the 800/900s is they run at what most men consider to be an uncomfortable RPM on the highway... for some reason, I've never heard a woman complain about this, dunno why.

Anyways, in stock form, the 800A, and quite probably the 900, will flat out run away from a 1500 and stay ahead to nearly 100mph where the smaller bike runs out of "legs" and the 1500 will eventually catch up and pass it.

Based on my experience with the 1600, and listening to people complain about the lack of power in the 1600/MeanStreak, I've come to two conclusions:

People who complain about the Meanie being slow are "cruiser converts" from sportbikes and expect the Meanie to be a 1600cc sport-cruiser. It ain't.

People who AREN'T familiar with sportbikes and complain about the lack of power in ANY of the 1500/1600 series engines are simply shifting too soon and lugging the engine. I've cranked my 1600 into 50+mph headwinds and accelerated to 80mph... WITH my wife on the back... and neither of us are lighweights (total over 100 pounds over the bike's rated limit).
I'd really like to have some fun and do a 1/4 mile run both with and without her on the back.

Anyways... As far as the "more power" thing and comparing the 800 to the 1500/1600, it really depends on your riding habits. If you are a highway cruiser, then the 1500/1600 is a more suitable bike for long hauls.
If you're thinking stop sign to stop sign, the 800/900 bikes are wonderful.

Changing the sprockets on the 800 to improve it's "highway legs", just like the Honda VLX, tend to have the reverse impact. Yes, it lowers highway RPM, but fuel economy AND bottom end pulling power is lost... so for the sake of a little less wear on the engine, you've taken a big performance hit and are now burning more fuel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The only thing "wrong" with the 800/900s is they run at what most men consider to be an uncomfortable RPM on the highway... for some reason, I've never heard a woman complain about this, dunno why.

Anyways, in stock form, the 800A, and quite probably the 900, will flat out run away from a 1500 and stay ahead to nearly 100mph where the smaller bike runs out of "legs" and the 1500 will eventually catch up and pass it.

Based on my experience with the 1600, and listening to people complain about the lack of power in the 1600/MeanStreak, I've come to two conclusions:

People who complain about the Meanie being slow are "cruiser converts" from sportbikes and expect the Meanie to be a 1600cc sport-cruiser. It ain't.

People who AREN'T familiar with sportbikes and complain about the lack of power in ANY of the 1500/1600 series engines are simply shifting too soon and lugging the engine. I've cranked my 1600 into 50+mph headwinds and accelerated to 80mph... WITH my wife on the back... and neither of us are lighweights (total over 100 pounds over the bike's rated limit).
I'd really like to have some fun and do a 1/4 mile run both with and without her on the back.

Anyways... As far as the "more power" thing and comparing the 800 to the 1500/1600, it really depends on your riding habits. If you are a highway cruiser, then the 1500/1600 is a more suitable bike for long hauls.
If you're thinking stop sign to stop sign, the 800/900 bikes are wonderful.

Changing the sprockets on the 800 to improve it's "highway legs", just like the Honda VLX, tend to have the reverse impact. Yes, it lowers highway RPM, but fuel economy AND bottom end pulling power is lost... so for the sake of a little less wear on the engine, you've taken a big performance hit and are now burning more fuel.

My VN900 Jbobber has a custom map on a pcIII and man what a difference it makes, this week I took her out for an hour as she hadnt had a good run out for a while and the difference between the new map and the stock one was vast the amount of power getting to the back wheel was astonishing.

The VN900 with the engine mods has plenty of power, as Rich says 0 - 100mph the 900 is rapid for a cruiser and lets face it 100mph on a cruiser with no screen isnt the most comfortable ride. Get the engin mods done then see what you think.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Try to get a hold of VN1500. He's a custom kawa mech in Ohio. He's trying to get me a list of some work that he did for a VN800. It involved a cam from megacams, wiseco pistons (.30 over) and a port and polish head job and the 800 went to an amazing 106whp on the dyno!!! I know that it's pricey as he told me the labor on the head work was $900 alone, but what you're asking CAN be done, you just need to be willing to part with what could be about two grand, and find some one knows what they are doing and can do it. Good luck though and let me know what you decide and what VN1500 can tell you.
Uh... 106 wheel horsepower out of Kawi's 800 vtwin? That... isn't possible. Unless it's a forced induction custom or something, unlikely but you won't be getting many miles out of that engine...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Uh... 106 wheel horsepower out of Kawi's 800 vtwin? That... isn't possible. Unless it's a forced induction custom or something, unlikely but you won't be getting many miles out of that engine...
Like I said, contact him. Just passing what was passed in a different forum.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Uh... 106 wheel horsepower out of Kawi's 800 vtwin? That... isn't possible.
I don't see why not.
Granted, it's pushing about 2hp/CID, which is certainly up there in racing territory, but a lot of off-the-shelf cages are now coming with engines that are pushing 1.25-1.5hp/CID. While in the '80s we were happy if we could get 1, I don't see 2 as being outside the range of possibilities as long as one is picky about their fuel.
I've got a 1cid model airplane engine that makes just over 3hp.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't see why not.
Granted, it's pushing about 2hp/CID, which is certainly up there in racing territory, but a lot of off-the-shelf cages are now coming with engines that are pushing 1.25-1.5hp/CID. While in the '80s we were happy if we could get 1, I don't see 2 as being outside the range of possibilities as long as one is picky about their fuel.
I've got a 1cid model airplane engine that makes just over 3hp.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I don't think the engine design can accept that kind of horsepower without some insane modifications. And by insane, I mean, a different engine.

If it was the 750cc BUBF powerplant (a Japanese V-Twin) 100 horses at the rear wheel wouldn't surprise me. The 800 is a SOHC, single crank pin (I think, not 100% sure) vtwin being fed by a single carb. It's more "American" in design than Japanese, really. Bearings and seals would have to be beefed up, and even then the crank would probably beat the bottom end to death. Stock the compression ratio is something like 9:1.

I'd love to see a dyno of 106 at the wheel, and how long it lasted before it needed to be torn into. As said above the 800 doesn't like to be bored out much more than a few CCs or you'll hit the water jacket.

They've had the EX engine up to 80 some horsepower in race bikes but by then it was generally a grenade between your legs. A lap or two and a missed shift = KABOOM. I'll be the first to admit that the EX engine isn't exactly "over engineered" though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts