Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2001 800A Tues. Bike has 1500 miles and is in outstanding shape. A local dealer had this. Rode the bike, runs great except for a hesitation right off of idle. Dealer said they would fix it and leave it would be ready the next day. They called Tues. evening and said they found a bad seal or o-ring in the carb and didn't have one in stock. Since it was late they ordered it, but would not be in till Thurs. Guess what it didn't come in today. Supposed to be ready in the morning. Anyway my question was can I make the stock pipes a little louder, drilling or other mods. I have heard other 800's with pipes and don't think I would like to hear that for hours on trips. My wife had a Yamaha with Cobra pipes and it got annoying after riding on the hiway after 30 minutes. Yes like my grandchildren have said I am a old fart. Don't want to listen to that loud noise anymore. Looking for suggestions. ;-)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hesitation

Hi:
It only has 1500 miles on it? Its still a baby. Let it hesitate and fart for a while. Its allowed. As far as your exhaust, dont drill holes in the pipes. You may be able to remove the baffles. Thats a more normal way to make it louder. Otherwise, you could get a set of Cobra slash cut pipes. They are baffled and just noisey enough.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Spookyb4, congrats on the new ride. There are getting to be quite a few 800 rider's on this site. ( that's good) As far as the pipe's go ,check out the V&H cruzers thread ,trans101 (Larry) has a set of debaffled stock pipe's to get rid of, Don't know if he still has them or not? One after market pipe that is quieter than the cruzers an or slash cut ,straight, pipes is the cobra tapered end pipes. The baffles are welded in an can't be removed, an from what I've read from a couple of member's on another site,is that they are quieter than the rest when compared side by side. Not much louder than the stock,from what they said. Hope this help's. Again Congrat's an now get out there an ride it whenever possible, You need to rack up some mile's on that baby :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi there Spooky,Yeah like knightrider said.with no more miles on it than 1500,you've got yourself a almost brand new 01 Kawasaki!! Spooky ,my 03 1500 Vulcan classic has that same little hesitation from the idle when giving it thottle(like going thru the gear changing). I just thought it may be normal,now you got me wondering if i may have a leaking seal or o-ring of some kind! Anyway,glad ya got that new ride and know that you're gonna really enjoy it! keep talking to us on here about little things you do to it! (Chrome!!!) See ya, Kenny in North Carolina.......

·
Registered
244 Posts
The boot that connects the carb and intake manifold is pretty testy. It's got a 2-screw hose-clamp type device with 2 distinct but attached rings and it's difficult to adjust and even to access. Dunno if that's what's up with yours but it was a PITA for me when I rejetted.

As for pipes, you might try some ear plugs. That would reduce the exhaust and air noise considerably and allow you to change the note of the pipes (either debaffled or aftermarket) but not go deaf in the process.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I too have a 800A and I absolutely love it. Hope you will too. Haven't made up my mind on which pipes I'll install, but leaning toward the Vance and Hines Cruzers.

·
Registered
817 Posts
BRlawman said:
Congrats on the new bike. I too have a 800A and I absolutely love it. Hope you will too. Haven't made up my mind on which pipes I'll install, but leaning toward the Vance and Hines Cruzers.
That's what I have on mine, sounds Harley like, I get looks all the time from everyone, a guy in a van the other day said, "God that's a good looking bike, what kind is it".

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ditto the cruizers look and sound great,the stock pipes look ok but are to quiet for my blood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts