Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
i bought a 1990 kawasaki ninja zx750 (gpx 750), and it came with a clear title and all that good stuff, i'm moving to arizona in 4 weeks and it takes about 4 weeks for oregon to send you a title so i got it today and went and got the title transfered right away. had no problems and came home, was playin with the bike and noticed the vin numbers were scratched off, you can make out a few of the numbers but not all of them... anyways this concerns me (go figure), so i called the oregon DMV and they tell me...call the police. So i called the police, they ran the vin on the title and the plates and they matched and they said everything was clear and nothing reported stolen, But that didn't help me with the vin number mostly missing on my frame, thier response...`thats between you and the AZ dmv`, when i take it to AZ to get the title transfered to Arizona title, they'll do an inspection, so any ideas on what to do? the police didn't give half a ****, the one officer told me to get a different frame with title, but that cost's more money that i don't have, and doesn't seem quite right heh. is there any way a machine shop could get the vin numbers more visible to confirm it's the frame and press in the vin numbers again? any tips would be nice, the police and dmv were....worthless for the most part.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
bummer man !! as for AZ. get a letter stating that the bike is CLEAN/CLEAR. get on the AZ dmv site www.dmv.org
so where in AZ are ya moving too ? im in the NW corner of phoenix.
we are in our winter temps now and you will LOVE IT !!! (70's) :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i asked if they could look it over in person and white me a certified letter of some sort stating it was clean/clear, but they said they couldn't. i'm going to call the az dmv tomorrow. i actually moved from phoenix (43rd & t-bird) to oregon, been here bout 5 months, it sucks, movin back to phx. not sure where i'll be livin this time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quick update, so i went in to the Oregon DMV in person this morning, explained the situation ,they gave me a paper that they give when they can't find a vin on a vehicle, and said call the state police (before i called the town police), called the state police, they said "so you have a clear title?" yeh "then oregon is happy with it, so theres nothing more we do" well what if it's stolen?!! "oregon is happy with it, that will be between you and the AZ dmv". SO i called the arizona dmv and they said i'd have to schedule an appointment for a level 2 vin inspection in which they would inspect it and give it a new vin. what i don't understand is how can they tell if it's the frame matching the vin!? this bike is pretty rough so here i am wanting to fix it and enjoy the az winter when i get there (bout the only time you can ride unless you like riding in 116 degree heat), but don't know if i should. if they just issue it a new vin once i present the plate/vin, whats stopping people from just buying crashed but unreported motorcycles, taking the plate/title, and stealing a motorcycle and grinding the vin off? i'm just without words for this whole experience, i know where the guy who sold it to me lives, but he didn't look at it either, he wrote me up receipts, etc.... so should i fix it and and do the inspection, should i wait, my thought was fix it then strip the plastics and whatnot off it before i go in for vin, so i can at least get my $$ back out of it if they confinscate it, but i'm just insure on what to do, anyone have any input?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
IF they are serious

IF they are serious they CAN get the numbers off the bike. My neighbor was the director of the crime lab and it's unreal what chemicals can do and the proper lighting......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i didn't look this bike over good at all.... So i went to change the oil and...milkshake. so i decided i'm going to pull all the plastics/motor, and take the rolling shell in for inspection, then if they confinscate it...they get the shell. end of story.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heh you have a better ending? i'd prefer to not be out of all of my money if they confiscate the bike, least i could sell the plastics (which were bought off ebay, not part of the bike, so don't even comment on selling stolen goods). oregon sure isn't being much of a help, they couldn't care less, i'm the only one that seems to care.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh and the numbers i CAN read match the title, but thats just DF13LB5 which i don't think are any numbers that would be specific to THAT frame are they?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't know if this helps. But, for the new ZX-10s, the first 8 digits/alphanumerics are the same for all the 10s in North America.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well the title vin is jkazxdf13lb508542 and i can make out df13lb5 from the frame. is the vin spot on the neck the only spot that the vin is stamped? would the engine code help any?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah. The only place where the VIN is stamped is on the frame at the steering head neck. The engine VIN may be helpful as Kawasaki should have a record of what engine VIN is matched up to a paticular frame VIN. But it isn't unsual to have a different engine VIN than what is being reported back. Sometimes an engine is swapped out for a variety of reasons. But maybe you can contact Kawasaki and see if they still have any records of what the frame VIN is compared to the engine VIN.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'd ask to speak

I'd ask to speak to the guys at the crime lab and go in person...get them to look at the bike...they can etch the metal and see the numbers because of the compression still in the metal, tehn confirm the serial numbers. Be nice to them, when you explain it...Should it work make sure not only to send something in writing, but have some Pizza delivered to them afterwards!!

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
i think youll be fine for the simple fact of what ZX 10 GUY wrote. the first digits just mean it came from japan etc.
as for the milky oil, drain it out, refill with cheap oil (bike safe), run motor for 15mins. ,drain oil, refill with good oil or redo the cheap oil again then refill with good oil. up to you how many times ya drain it :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think i'm just going to slap it back together, and deal with it when i get to AZ. thanks for the input though, moving in 4 weeks so, i guess i can wait (or can i? heh, sure is tempting, but theres the chance that it'll just get taken away so why waste time/money on it , till i know for sure).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts