1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
thanks but wouldnt do brakes without one...have had one for ages....

for those that are even thinking of changing lines fluid etc, GET ONE

·
Registered
77 Posts
On a motorcycle, you don't need a special bleeder at all. The distance is short enough from the control to the bleed valve that you can flush the old fluid through into a collection bottle, then run the bleed line back from the valve into the master reservoir. Let any air bubbles escape into the reservoir as you continuously cycle the brake control with the bleed valve open while filling with fresh fluid. Works extremely well and requires nothing more than a few feet of line.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you have a coupon or discount code or something? The price always comes up at $26 for me.
No when I called the store to see if they had it. They told me it was on sale. It came up 26 bucks for me too on the web site

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
I just stuck a hose in a vip-lock bag with a little fluid in it and made sure the hose stayed below fluid level to avoid drawing air back into the system. Taped the hose to the bag and zip tied the thing to the bike since the hose was not long enough to reach the floor. Worked like a charm. I have made bleeder bottles for automobile brakes with the same principle so I could do it by myself. Drill a hole in the bottle top and insert hose and run one end to the bleeder nipple and the other end into the brake fluid in the bottle.

But those fancy gizmos like in that ad would be so much handier. I just usually rig up something on the spare of the moment and never bothered to run out and buy the good stuff. So my way works in a pinch and for those who are too cheap or broke to get the good stuff. :tongue:

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
MITY-VAC is the ONLY WAY I WILL EVER DO BRAKES EVER AGAIN ! as a bike tech its a must have... doing it the old way/half A$$ed with rubber tubing etc is nonsense...
its worth the 20$ easy and will last you a long time... i have two versions .. one all plastic , one all metal....both work awesome ........

·
Serial Sport Rider
638 Posts
My only gripe about the product is that the O ring on top of the bottle got trashed pretty quick. But I'll be making a new bottle to replace it.

swap out all your lines for SS and then do it that way, its a messy PITA...
AMEN Brother!

Why would that make the slightest difference?
Cause you can spend a butt load of time trying to reprime the master cylinder by doing it the "conventional" way, or you can use the vacuum and bam! be done.

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
MITY-VAC is the ONLY WAY I WILL EVER DO BRAKES EVER AGAIN ! as a bike tech its a must have... doing it the old way/half A$$ed with rubber tubing etc is nonsense...
its worth the 20$ easy and will last you a long time... i have two versions .. one all plastic , one all metal....both work awesome ........
Quoted for absolute truth!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I haven't bought a bleeder system yet. But I should considering the number of hydraulic systems (brakes, clutches) that I maintain in the family fleet.

One thing I like about the old pump and bleed procedure is that it can give a good high velocity stream of brake fluid to sweep bubbles and debris out of the system. Do these things that suck on the bleeder nipple get the fluid moving as fast? Thanks guys.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
The whole idea is to get the air out so any system that does so will work as well as one of these gadgets. I have never had a problem removing air but it may be a trick for some, I don't know.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Some times the bubbles will be in an area that is far above the bleeder. Each time you open the bleeder the fluid flows down pulling the air with it but between each open/close of the bleeder the air rises back up the line. The advantage of the vac bleeders becomes real evident in these situations since they can keep a prolonged and somewhat constant flow, long enough to get the air all the way down and out.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
I do not close the bleeder when I use a homemade bleeder bottle. I just pump until all the bubbles are out. So there is no open/close cycle the way I do it. But you can rig up a syringe and pull the fluid through just as well.

I do not know if it is an inferior method, only that my lever is tight and not spongy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.