Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,
I took the brake calipers on the 1980 KZ750LTD apart today to clean the pistons and bores. When putting them back together, what is the easiest way to get the piston back into the bore? I put a new sealing ring in the bore and a new dust seal on the caliper but couldn't get the piston back in by pushing on it. Ended up tearing the dust seal. Is it proper to put the new sealing ring inside the bore, then put the new outer dust seal on and then force the piston back in? Or, can the outer dust seal be put on after the piston is in?
Thank you,
Happy New Year to all,
Jon

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It's been a while since I did mine, but as I recall I lubed the piston seal with brake fluid and pressed it in, and then put the dust seal on with a small screwdriver and a little lithium grease. Hold the dust seal with a finger, and slide the screwdriver around the dust seal so it locks into the little lip. Kind of a pain, but not too bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stormdragon

Thanks for the reply. I was at my buddy's house when I tried putting the calipers back together and had a tough time. Once I got home I pulled out my "Clymers" manual and it said that rebuilding calipers shouldn't be attempted at home :confused:
So, I dug out my Honda Manual and just as you said, the dust seal goes on after the piston is in.
Thanks again,
Jon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Make Sure You Lube The Piston With Some Brake Fluid,not To Much Though Because Then It Will Look Like Its Leaking Again.use A C-clamp To Easily Push The Piston Back In.then Put The Dust Seal On.

·
Registered
66 Posts
im purty liberal with brake fluid, just did two last week. you may also stick piston in freezer overnight. sometimes they just go in hard. On kaw im not sure on dust seal but on mine its last to go on .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there a trick to taking off the caliper? I have 78KZ750 and I cant get the rear one off!

my manual hasn't come in the mail yet....

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It's easiest if it's still mounted on the rear wheel. If the two bolts are tight, put a 6 or 12 point wrench on it, keep it tensioned on the bolt with a finger, and give the other end of the wrench a whack with a plastic or rubber mallet. That usually breaks them loose. If it doesn't loosen in one or two whacks, find a manual impact driver at a local tool place, and try that. Add a little Liquid Wrench to the bolt threads if you can get at them before you go looking for the impact driver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The bolt came off fine, but it looks like the piston is extended and will not retract. I took off all the brake lines so it shouldn't have any pressure. Is there a way to force it to retract?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Are you saying that the brakes are locked up and you can't get the caliper off because of that?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Or get a plastic mallet and start tap, tap, tapping the caliper up away from the disk. If there's a gap at the top of the caliper, you may be able to get a really big screwdriver in there and pry the pads away from the disk. Be careful not to chew up the disk itself though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts