Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I know I'm going to get flamed for even doing this, but what the heck! :)

I went to the bike shop on Sunday and they didn't have any chain cleaner. I really wanted to get it cleaned over the weekend, so I stopped by the local auto parts store and was looking at their various cleaners they had in stock and noticed brake cleaner.

Since it's not supposed to harm rubber, like brake hoses, and is supposed to dry without residue, I figured it would be ok for the chain. So...I went ahead and got some and cleaned the chain. The good part is that the can was half the price of chain cleaner at the shop, and bigger as well.

Anyone have any opinions about using brake cleaner on the chain?

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I don't think I would use it, cause it might get behind the o-rings and displace the grease you want in there. But lots of people use WD40 while others claim that it will do the same thing???? I just buy a gallon of kerosene for $4 and that usually lasts a year at least, plus that's what every one of my chain driven bikes have recommended to clean the chain. Cheap and works very well.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
One bonus about using kerosene is it doesn't ever seem to go bad.

I had some that I was using to clean chains and other parts that I was storing in a glass jug, and I noticed that the gunk and sludge that I was cleaning off the parts seemed to settle to the bottom.

I then carefully poured off the good kerosene into another jug, and began just using the first jug as a "Settling Tank", and my Kerosene has been stretching further ever since. :D

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I really need to find a place that sells kero, but I was lazy and just looking for a quick solution. All the new gas stations don't generally carry it and I just haven't wanted to take the time to go hunt some down.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Most camping supply stores or army surplus stores will sell Kerosene by the gallon.

·
Scootter_man
157 Posts
I'd do the exact thing BROSS

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Yep any camping / outdoor store should carry it. Just look in the camping section by the lamps. ;-) I buy it here in Canada at Canadian Tire, cause it's cheaper than at the camping shops, but you should be able to find it at Walmart even.

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
I've tried a few of the spray cleaners and wasn't really pleased with the result.
Not only did I need to brush to get a decent clean but I found I was working against time with the solvents evaporating too quickly.
Good old kero ( you can buy it in corner stores and supermarkets everywhere in Aus ) still works beautifully and degreasing fluid even better in my humble opinion.
My other complaint with the aerosols was that I had a problem with "spray through" onto the back disk. The "spray through" can be avoided of course but it was still one extra hassle.

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
Hey Tina:smile: . Lovely to see you too!
I am enjoying a lovely tropical sunrise and getting ready for an early morning ride.
I haven't forgotten photos of the chicken strips. #2 son just hasn't been home long enough to take 'em. ( Dirty "stop out" - who brought that boy up? :redface: )

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Actually their brake cleaners out there that are harmful to rubber make sure you read the can. But I usuall spray penetrating oil on a rag and wipe down the chain.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Hey Tina:smile: . Lovely to see you too!
I am enjoying a lovely tropical sunrise and getting ready for an early morning ride.
I haven't forgotten photos of the chicken strips. #2 son just hasn't been home long enough to take 'em. ( Dirty "stop out" - who brought that boy up? :redface: )

Find some curves for me, then take the pics of the chicken stripes :smile:

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
Just about to leave.
gear on - check
full tank - check
half a pack of filthy cigatettes :redface: - check
I reckon about 2 hours then still to work on time:D
I'll see if #2 will take some shots after work tonight.
Have a lovely afternoon Tina. ( It is afternoon in the States isn't it ? )

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Just about to leave.
gear on - check
full tank - check
half a pack of filthy cigatettes :redface: - check
I reckon about 2 hours then still to work on time:D
I'll see if #2 will take some shots after work tonight.
Have a lovely afternoon Tina. ( It is afternoon in the States isn't it ? )
Good deal. Go ride, and be safe. I'll look for the pics.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
yeah, I really need to find a place that sells kero, but I was lazy and just looking for a quick solution. All the new gas stations don't generally carry it and I just haven't wanted to take the time to go hunt some down.
Any grocery store will sell kero. :eek: :lol:
Oh You meant the fuel/cleansing substance and not the kind that goes over pancakes.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Kerosene, jet fuel, and home heating oil are all essentially the same thing--diesel fuel.

Diesel costs about $3.25/gallon right now.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts