Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an old gpz 750 with a front fork from a gpz 750 -82 and I´m searching for replacement brake discs.

Brake discs are quite expensive so I´m searching for alternatives to new discs, or maybe new but cheaper discs.
Is there any brake discs from other bikes that would fit my front fork?
Somewhere I read that rear brake discs for the Gpz can be fitted at the front if machined to make it slimmer. Is this accurate information?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

/Karl

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,708 Posts
There is a guy on evilbay that surfaces discs for the XS650 . If it's just gouges worn into the rotors . The hot ticket back then was to get in line at Muzzy's for the cast iron pieces . Now EBC and Brake King are about you're only recourse . Replace the brake lines with TFE . And if you really want to stop just update the front end complete . Early Katana's use a similar steering stem . Do a little research , the options will surprise you .

~kop

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a guy on evilbay that surfaces discs for the XS650 . If it's just gouges worn into the rotors . The hot ticket back then was to get in line at Muzzy's for the cast iron pieces . Now EBC and Brake King are about you're only recourse . Replace the brake lines with TFE . And if you really want to stop just update the front end complete . Early Katana's use a similar steering stem . Do a little research , the options will surprise you .

~kop
Thanks!

My brother can help me with machine works since he has access to a machine shop at work. So I can surface the disc but I think they are a bit to worn to do that, one of the discs are only 4.2-4.3 mm thick so I think it is to slim already. My plan was already to replace the old brake lines with steel braided lines, but I think I need new discs too.

But I am on a thight budget since I also overhaul the engine with new rings and valve seals.

Advice on good brake pads would also be appreciated, the ones I have a new but I think I would like some with a little more bite.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looking to upgrade 82 Gpz also

I have an 82 Gpz750 that I am setting up for vintage racing and I have been trying to find upgrade options. I wanted to convert it to a handlebar set up but every triple tree I was told would work does not fit right. I am thinking about staying with the current system and using clip-ons.

If anyone has any info on other updated front ends that will work please let me know.

Also, I have purchased a number of front tires and may have a spare set of disk brakes that are not in bad condition if you are interested.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Herk!

I have an 82 Gpz750 that I am setting up for vintage racing and I have been trying to find upgrade options. I wanted to convert it to a handlebar set up but every triple tree I was told would work does not fit right. I am thinking about staying with the current system and using clip-ons.

If anyone has any info on other updated front ends that will work please let me know.

Also, I have purchased a number of front tires and may have a spare set of disk brakes that are not in bad condition if you are interested.
Hi! I´m very interested in a pair of used brake discs if they are in good condition. Minor marks are no problem if they are thick enough so I can machine the surface. But I´ll have to warn you that I live in Sweden so I cannot come by and pick up the parts. : )

Please send me a private message and we can discuss the detailes.

/Karl

·
This space for rent
687 Posts

I know for certain that at least 99-2000 Katana 750 (Suzuki GSX750 Katana) forks will fit with a simple bearing swap and cutting a little off the boss on the bottom of the upper clamp. The top clamp is two parts, with the top part being the handlebar holder. I left the top off and used 750 twin rubber mounted bar clamps that fir right in holes that were already there.. And the forks are about 10 times better than GPz750 forks, and 40mm diameter :)

Warning! If by "Fit right" you mean bolt on and work perfectly with no modifications, then no, there is no such thing available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.