Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noticed today on my brother inlaws bike, the front brakes dont have much feel. you have to pull the lever pretty far to get them to grab very good, and even then it wont lock the front wheel up.

the back brake on the other hand (drum) has easily twice the stopping power. the pads look good, so im thinking either the front brake needs bled or they just suck....

with that in mind, will the front brakes off a 750, 1100 or gpz work on the 550c? ( the dual disk setup)

thanks for the help.
mike

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The brakes can be several issues, but lets start with the easy ones.

1. Brake line needs to be adjusted properly to manual specs.
2. brake lines have an air bubble and just need to be bled.
3. The brake fluid is over 1 year old or over 4000 miles of riding on it. When the brakes get heated up you get vapor in the line and mushy feeling.
4. The brake line is over 2-3 years old and you get the mushy feeling because the OEM rubber lines expand when you pull the brake lever.

All above suggestions are easily taken care of and changing of the brake fluid is only $5.99 - $7.99. Does he have Dot 4/5.1 brake fluid or is he running Dot 5 (silicone) brake fluid. Be careful not to mix brake fluids.

If all else fails then #4 should be taken care of with Stainless steel braided lines. You can PM for my suggestion, but let's see what 1-3 tell us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike sat for several years outside befor he got the bike, the brakes where locked up. he freed them back up, but i dont know how well he bled them. That will be the fisrt thing on my list. I know the rubber line is at least a year old ( looks to be the factory one from 82)

but mostly I dont like the look of single disks on the front, so i want to do the dual disk with new rotors, pads, steel lines, new calipers and a nwe master cylinder.

so I was wondering what do I need? a front wheel off a 750-1100 or gpz........or just take every thing from the handle bars down?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Assuming that everything fits you would need the tripple tree, forks, clip ons if different size then yours and the wheel/axle and brake caliper/brake caliper bracket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts