Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went out to my garage with the intent to go riding and when doing my pre-ride inspection, I noticed the brake light was not coming on when I squeezed either brake. I checked the fuse box and found one brake light fuse and it looked ok. I also pulled the bulbs out and they looked fine as well. They light up normally when the bike is on, they just don't get brighter when I squeeze the brake.

Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem? This is a 2002 Ninja 500.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought a multimeter and checked the voltage going to the brake lights and now I think what is happening is that the brake light is on all the time. There is 11.8 volts across both sets of wires whether the brake is pressed or not. I suspect a problem with one of the switches. I will investigate that after I eat some lunch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it out. The rear brake light switch is sticking. Anybody think there is a safe way to lubricate it? I need to see how much a new switch costs. Knowing my Kawasaki dealer, I'm sure it is some ridiculous amount.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
You can get some electrical grease from a auto parts store for a few bucks, clean the switch and grease it up with the electrical grease.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts