Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

brake rotor compatibility

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  herk 
#1 ·
I need a front brake rotor for an 03 Mean Streak. New ones are expensive and used ones are scarce. Do any of the other Vulcans (or any other bike for that matter) use the same 320mm rotor? Doesn't have to match, just has to fit. Thanks!

#5 ·
It helps if you provide a little more info, since I didn't have a clue what a "Mean Streak" was.

Discovered that the following models interchange:

VN1500-P1 (Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak) (2002)
VN1500-P2 (Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak) (2003)
VN1600-B1 (Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak) (2004)

And at Bike Bandit:
Kawasaki DISC,FR,SILVER+DISC-S

41080-1511-5D $310.63

#9 ·
I didn't have a clue what a "Mean Streak" was.
You are a "BTK Expert" responding to a thread in the Mechanics Corner on the Kawasaki forum??

Discovered that the following models interchange:
VN1500-P1 (Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak) (2002)
VN1500-P2 (Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak) (2003)
VN1600-B1 (Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak) (2004)
Yeah, that's the same bike...

And at Bike Bandit:
Kawasaki DISC,FR,SILVER+DISC-S
41080-1511-5D $310.63
Uh, yeah, I was hoping not to spend $300 on OEM rotors.

Oh, and thanks to herk and MFolks for the solid leads!

#10 ·
You are a "BTK Expert" responding to a thread in the Mechanics Corner on the Kawasaki forum??
Give the old feller a break will ya!:lol: He was probably MIA or AWOL from the "Vintage section" and didnt realize where he was at!:eek: Jeepers, we get no respect! If it aint the cops jacking with us, its some youngster with a "Meanstreak" kicking us!:eek: GeeWhiz!:lol:

#11 ·
Not sure if this will be of any help... After doing some poking around in the diagrams at Kawasaki.com, it seems like the disks from the 03 ZR & ZX1200 models look similar to the Mean Streak's, but I have no idea if they'd be usable. A couple are listed on eBay: maybe contact a seller or two & ask for some measurements. I didn't see one listed for your bike to use as a comparison. Other models may have similar disks as well - the cross-reference at the Kaw site may help.
I've looked at the diagrams there, but it doesn't give any specs or dimensions. The only models that Kawasaki claims use the same rotor (as steell was nice enough to reply :cool:) are Mean Streak models. I called the customer service line for Kawasaki and got what sounded like a disclaimer from the legal department when I asked the guy about compatible rotors.

Can't they make this easier for cheap bast**ds like me?!?

#12 ·
That means I have wasted my time by posting over a certain number of times, it don't mean I'm expert in every motorcycle Kawasaki ever manufactured.

Stuck in the 70's?? I'll have you know that just this past summer I graduated into the 90's with the addition of the 96 GSXR1100, previously the newest bike was the 85 GPz750 Turbo. And I still prefer my 79 750 twin. :biggrin:

Maybe ten years from now I'll buy a Mean Streak, but I doubt it, I'd rather have the new 197 hp V-Max :eek:

I apologize for taking the time to look up "Mean Streak" on kawasaki.com in order to check kawasaki's parts diagrams to see if anything else would fit, and for researching the price for OEM replacement at Bike Bandit. I really didn't mean to upset you.

#13 ·
You come to a forum, don't bother to read the sticky threads titled Bike problems? Read this first please!! that obviously pertain to you. Then you complain when one of the members takes the time to look up some info for you and try to help you?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#14 ·
That means I have wasted my time by posting in the wrong place,...again? huh?

Stuck in the 70's?? I know!

Maybe ten years from now, and if I aint on oxygen, I'll buy a Mean Streak, but I doubt it, I'd rather have the new 19 hp V-Max Wheelchair!:eek:
Wow,...not me man, I want a Bonneville! Not the Pontiac neither!:lol:

#16 ·
You come to a forum, don't bother to read the sticky threads titled Bike problems? Read this first please!! that obviously pertain to you. Then you complain when one of the members takes the time to look up some info for you and try to help you?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I did read the "Bike Problems?" sticky, thank you very little. If you had read my top post, which you couldn't be bothered to, you'd have seen that I DID provide all pertinent information regarding the bike in question and what I was looking for.
03meanstreak said:
I need a front brake rotor for an 03 Mean Streak. New ones are expensive and used ones are scarce. Do any of the other Vulcans (or any other bike for that matter) use the same 320mm rotor? Doesn't have to match, just has to fit. Thanks!
Also, I did not complain. I was just surprised that steell didn't know what a Mean Streak was, did not have insight or experience regarding compatibility, and then offered a link for $300 OEM rotors. Maybe you should read more carefully before jumping all over a new forum member, StarGate.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#17 ·
I apologize for taking the time to look up "Mean Streak" on kawasaki.com in order to check kawasaki's parts diagrams to see if anything else would fit, and for researching the price for OEM replacement at Bike Bandit. I really didn't mean to upset you.
No apology necessary. I'm not upset with your reply. I AM upset by the cost of new rotors. That's why I am hoping to find other Kawasaki's that use the same rotor dimensions so I could find a used one on CL/ eBay.

#18 ·
Not sure if this will be of any help... After doing some poking around in the diagrams at Kawasaki.com, it seems like the disks from the 03 ZR & ZX1200 models look similar to the Mean Streak's, but I have no idea if they'd be useable. A couple are listed on ebbaayy: maybe contact a seller or two & ask for some measurements. I didn't see one listed for your bike to use as a comparison. Other models may have similar disks as well - the cross-reference at the Kaw site may help.
Man, that was more help than you know. After searching zx rotors ad nauseum, I found these. Although they cost way more than I want to spend, it did give a compatibility chart. If I am reading that EBC page correctly, and that rotor will fit all of those bikes, then a rotor from any of those bikes will fit mine, yes?:idea:
Thanks, herk!

#20 ·
Although the diagrams & cross-reference at Kawasaki.com are very helpful, they aren't perfect: often times something will have a different part number to reflect a minor change (such as the color), but it will still be perfectly useable. I would ask for measurements.
Unfortunately, the one thing I did learn from the Kawasaki Customer Service line was that the rotor number designated in the diagram (41080) is the number for all Kawasaki rotors. The specific number for my rotor (41080-1511-5D) only references MS models, as steell pointed out. Kawasaki will not divulge the dimensions of any of their rotors (probably a liability issue) so I can cross-reference. However, the JCM webpage for the aftermarket EBC rotor leads me to believe that all of the bikes listed have the same dimensions and that a stock rotor from any of those bikes listed will fit my VN1500P2. If anyone can confirm or refute this assumption, I'd appreciate it.

#21 ·
Also, I did not complain. I was just surprised that steell didn't know what a Mean Streak was, did not have insight or experience regarding compatibility, and then offered a link for $300 OEM rotors. Maybe you should read more carefully before jumping all over a new forum member, StarGate.
First off, let me say I was not "jumping" on you and if it came across that way, then all I can say is it wasn't intended that way. I thought it was funny and thus the LoL's.

As for the BTK expert tag that you noticed some of us have, that is something that is put on there automatically by the forum after you have posted a certain # of times. It's not a title that we have given ourselves and certainly does not indicate the knowledge level of a member as the same title can be attained by just posting enough joke threads in the Off Topic section.

As for your problem, it might help someone help you, if you would post the diameter of the rotor, the # of mounting holes and their spacing. Some members with other model bikes could then compare those measurements to what their bike uses and maybe give you an indication of a possible fit. Kawasaki will very often take the same part and assign a different part # because the inner portion is painted and a completely different part # if it's polished. So even though it's exactly the same in physical dimensions, it will not show up doing a cross ref search because it will have a different part #.

P.S. I wouldn't want to pay $300 for a rotor either. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.