Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my calipers r locking on when i leave overnight..
i have servised the calipers and r like new the pistons r very free
i can push all back with fingers...seals r like new....
the disks r also in very good condition not warped...

any ideas cheers..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Seeing you've 'done' all the above, and the calipers are A-OK, then it must be a problem at the master cylinder?
I never heard of something like that, but it must be...

Are they the correct pistons - are they not expanding and binding when they get hot?

:?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
this has to be a problem with the new materials im sure are being used for motorcycle brake pads. your the 3rd person this year that has had this happen to them. in my 28yrs of motorcycles ive never had a problem w/ sticking brakes.
so anyways, go out and ROCK the bike back and forth HARD and see if they break loose. thats what the other 2 people have done and its worked fine.
good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep all the pistons or original..and in A1 condition...
they only stick on after they are left over night...
also the fluid is ok and i have blead them....
the pads look fine but i will change them and try that.....

·
Registered
487 Posts
I once had a brake hose that the inner lining had started to collapse. it was putting pressure on the calipers making the brakes drag and then stick after it sat for awhile.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Are they locked really hard the next morning or are they just dragging a little more than before? Because our brakes don't have return springs the only force that pushes the pads back out is the turbulence kicked up by the holes in the brake disk rotor. The last thing you did when putting the bike away in the garage last night was squeezing the pads onto the rotor, they will back away again once you start rolling.
Why is it more noticeable with the new piston seals? I'll bet it's because they're newer, thicker and stickier than your old ones. But they'll wear in a little with normal use and the locking will assuage.
I might be wrong, but it's a cheap fix at least. Give it a few hundred miles before replacing anything else. Good luck.
-CCinC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts