Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Brakes-take a look please

1K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  elr658 
#1 ·
Ok, so yesterday at work(Napa Auto Parts) the counterwoman started freaking out when she saw my brakes saying they were dangerously close to failing and I was destroying the rotor. I tried to explain that the rotor was fine and the pads still had plenty of life left, but I don't think she believes me. Anyway, I'm hoping I was right in saying so, but just to be more sure I'm posting 2 pictures...one of the rotor and one of the pads. Hopefully you can see them clearly. Thanks guys.

#2 ·
Can't tell enough from the pics. From the second one, you can see the rotor better. I've seen worse, but it looks like it wouldn't hurt to have it turned to smooth it out. If you do that, of course you should replace the pads too.

I can't see the pads well enough, but it appears they still have a little pad material left on them.

#10 ·
It appears that the edge of the pad farther from the cam has more wear than the other edge. I've noticed this happens on my pads although I'm not sure if it's true for all. If this is the case, be sure to keep an eye on the side with the most wear. For mine, it's always the leading edge of the pad that gets the most wear.

#11 ·
1. bike disc are NOT TURNED....
2. pads look good from what i can see.. just like cars if theres only a 1/16" of material left then ya better get er done....
3. bike rotors are usually rougher than cars but unless youve got grooves or metal on metal dont worry about it.
4. when you replace the pads make sure ya clean the pistons/caliper before pushing the pistons back in
5. youll have to get used to the brakes again when ya change pads cause the lever wont travel as far (mine are major one finger brakes w/ new pads)
6. lady at napa needs to calm down..... even with cars ive run the pads way lower than what you have left... youve got a ton left...

#12 ·
I get all my advice from ladies behind the counter at Napa. They're bonzer!

Those rotors have never been used to actually stop. No discoloring or anything. The pads...don't know and can't tell. My EBCs have slots in them. When I get to the bottom of the slot they go in the trash and new ones go in. I'm still on the first set after a 15 track days.

Easy way to test: Go find a straight stretch of road w/ no traffic and you can do 60mph. Get up to speed and brake hard. If you rack your balls on the tank the brakes are fine. Other wise - your brakes probably need bleeding. Then maybe you need new pads. Then last you might need new rotors (highly unlikely).

#18 ·
Somehow, he got in the mindset after *HE* totaled the engine and replaced it, that *MY* Jeep has magically become his jeep... silly boy... he took it swampin', THAT is why he had to replace the engine. And I told him, *IF* he got me a new Mazda 5 (sporty version of a minivan, manual shift) that I would LET him USE my Jeep as his commute vehicle.

L-E-T him U-S-E *MY* Jeep.
Everything has to be spelled out to you boys, doesn't it? And I do often catch him calling it his Jeep to family and friends. [sigh]

(lol)

#20 ·
I bought this Jeep early on in our relationship to replace my pick-up and my chevy blazer. Therefore, it is mine. Under similar logic, the snowmobile Bret traded his chevy pickup for is equally mine then...

(wait for it, wait for it - Bret's response will be a big fat "Hell No!!!!") lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.