Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't seen it you must check it out. On eBay someone is selling a brand new, in the crate, 1980 KZ1000 Classic. Is that amazing or what? Where the heck has it been for the last 27 years? Incredible...

·
Registered
157 Posts

I think the bigger question is Why leave it sit in a crate and rot for this many years? It must have been in a non-climate controlled area. The brake fluid seapage on the master cylinder and caliper probably looks much worse than it is, and the pitting of the chrome and corrosion on the fasteners makes one wonder.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
I've been looking for a bike like that I could afford! I don't that's it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
A nos bike is very cool, but you will probably have to own a museum, or put it on display to get any joy out of it. If you start using it, it will just be another low mile bike that you paid way too much for.

Here's a nos 1975 H2C. The owner also have a nos Norton Commando 850 in his collection.

A nos H2B. Still crated. This bike will according to the owner never be uncrated. It's used for reference only.

·
Back in traffic
675 Posts
Its to bad they let it sit and rot like that, it's just a waste of a good bike.

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
Unfortunately 28 year old 'new' motorcycles have 28 year old rubber... And components like valve springs compressed for 28 years. Reality is without correct prep work and maintenance over the years, the bike is not something you could get running and roadworthy without significant time and investment.

This bikes not as bad as some 'in-crate' bikes I've seen where the rust was very bad.

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the price is up to $5,101.00 with lots of time left. I would like to have it and take my chances with the problems associated with sitting that long, but it will bring a lot more money than I would pay. I am curious what it will bring.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't think a 1980 Z1 Classic is a very well-known bike. I'm not familiar with this fuel-injected model. It may not have been a very popular model, I don't know.
If the seller had a '73 Z1 in the crate, I'll bet he'd get $20,000. Don't know what this will fetch, but $10K is definitely possible.

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
There were six models of the KZ1000 in 1980 in the US Market.
The KZ1000D3 or the Z-1R
The KZ1000 Classic which prototyped the EFI used on the GPz1100 for 1981.
The KZ1000 LTD which was the flagship cruiser.
The KZ1000 ST which was the shaft drive tourer.
The KZ1000 MKII which was the standard bike
The KZ1000C which was the police bike.

Europe got the KZ1000 MK II in a fuel injected model also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In Croatia z900 , z1000 , (kz) is most wanted bike... 6000$ no problem for chrashed or incomplete Z.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Motorcycles found in crates is not unusual.
Just recently a 1950's Triumph was found and taken out of a crate on Vancouver Island.

In Europe there are people buying (new) motorcycles, still in the crate, and putting them away.

It's like buying die cast model cars and keeping them in the boxes.
A friend of mine has over 100 models of highway trucks, he wants to sell them but he can't get much for them because he threw the boxes out.
If he still had the boxes he would get over 100 dollars each.
Now he would be lucky to get 40 bucks.

Here are a few of my diecast cars:
Flickr: Photos from abbenquesnel

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
In Croatia z900 , z1000 , (kz) is most wanted bike... 6000$ no problem for chrashed or incomplete Z.
In Croatia, Kz owns YOU! :D

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
I'll continue to be happy with my garage finds.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts