Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up this mint 250 and rode it for maby two minutes and noticed when i put the bike in gear and pull the clutch in it it super hard to push, is this normal, I dont know much about race bikes.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Some Bikes you can hardly push whilst others are very easy it depends on a few things not least the state of the clutch.
Has the Bike stood for a while as the plates can stick or become partially stuck with pressure from the clutch springs over time.
Is the clutch adjusted correctly ? If you have a large amount of free play at the lever it won't be disengaging the clutch fully, This is quite common as people adjust the lever to get a better reach if they have smaller hands but don't realize the impact on clutch movement.
Some bright spark may of put in the wrong grade of oil causing clutch drag.
What Model 250 is it ?
How many Miles ?
Do you have any history with it ? (Servicing/Repairs etc)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some Bikes you can hardly push whilst others are very easy it depends on a few things not least the state of the clutch.
Has the Bike stood for a while as the plates can stick or become partially stuck with pressure from the clutch springs over time.
Is the clutch adjusted correctly ? If you have a large amount of free play at the lever it won't be disengaging the clutch fully, This is quite common as people adjust the lever to get a better reach if they have smaller hands but don't realize the impact on clutch movement.
Some bright spark may of put in the wrong grade of oil causing clutch drag.
What Model 250 is it ?
How many Miles ?
Do you have any history with it ? (Servicing/Repairs etc)
Hey so it’s a 2020 kx 250 brand new, iv kept the adjustment that’s it came with, becouse I’m assuming who ever built it knew what they where doing. I can mess with the free play but if it doesn’t fix it should I just accept that it does it, or do race clutches come a little fat you so can wear then in ?

·
Super Moderator
10,763 Posts
Perfectly normal IMHO. With 130,8xx miles on the original clutch my FJR is still sometimes like pushing a refrigerator, especially when cold. Do the routine stuff to check- cable adjustment, oil changes, lever pivot clean & lube- assuming no one previous knows anything about anything and ride on!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfectly normal IMHO. With 130,8xx miles on the original clutch my FJR is still sometimes like pushing a refrigerator, especially when cold. Do the routine stuff to check- cable adjustment, oil changes, lever pivot clean & lube- assuming no one previous knows anything about anything and ride on!
So pretty much just warm my bike up and break it in and it should go away or will it just make it less severe

·
Super Moderator
10,763 Posts
Until you get some miles and change the oil it'll be hard to tell what it'll be like. But yeah, ride more and stress less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts