Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard many people talk about "babying" the bike for the first miles and not exceeding like 3500 rpms, something like that. Then, I read in a popular magazine the other day (RoadBike, I think) that you should not "baby" the bike during the break-in period. They said you should even redline the bike a few times. They said that every new bike is redlined at least once off of the assembly line. You should redline and give the bike full throttle a few times to properly seat the rings. They said most parts that will break will do so within the first few thousand miles so the manufacturers tell you to "baby" the bike due to liability. You don't ride the bike hard, nothing breaks, they don't have to fix it. What do you have to say about this??? VetDr

By the way, I'm picking up my 04 Meanstreak (green) in an hour or two. Anxiety!!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

congrats on the new scoot :wink:

you may have read this:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

this is a subject of great debate,and i have seen it work both ways,i don't think there is real answer.i believe most folks follow mama kaws break in rules,but i have done it both ways myself with no ill effects.the ride it like you stole it method may be a little more risky on a new machine but i broke in my 800 by doing a little of both easy and hard riding and i had no problems at all.i think its really personal preference-there are good arguments on both sides
i know kawi v-twins do like to be wound up a little even in the beginning but if you use common sense and do lots of shifting and run thru the rpm's where the power band is and just give it some real world riding it will work out just fine-i don't really believe in "babying"
a bike too much,alot of slow rpm riding seems to cause some carbon build up on the kawi's
so open it now and then and blow that junk out-hope this helps :wink:

ride safe!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts