Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
sounds interesting... I remember reading somewhere that someone claimed they called Kawasaki (concerning the Ninja 250R) and Kawasaki told them they could actually rev it to 6000rpm...

*shrugs*

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aikata,

Yeah the 250 revs higher anyway. The 500 is just 4k in the first 500. I just want to take her to work, don't think it's possible to keep up with Dallas traffic @ 65+ mph under 4k rpm.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
ekinnee said:
Aikata,

Yeah the 250 revs higher anyway. The 500 is just 4k in the first 500. I just want to take her to work, don't think it's possible to keep up with Dallas traffic @ 65+ mph under 4k rpm.
I've heard both ways, I think if you keep it under 9K then the break in will be fine. Just make sure the engine is warm and the oil is flowing first and the seals should set very well.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
Good question about break in. I know how hard it was for me to break mine in with the 4K limit for the first 500 miles. I think that came out to be almost 55MPH in 6th gear. Then 6K for the next 500 miles. I also topped of my oil with some Myster Oil, and used a half of quart of Mystery Oil with every oil change until recently. Now I use Castrol Syntec Blend. So far, no probs and the engine still pulls strong.

I did the break in as recommended by the manual. I also read on a website when I bought the bike, that this method produced the least amount of engine wear during the break in period. Tha site took two new engines and broke one in using Kawi's method and the other their own way. At 1,000 miles, they disassembled the engines and inspected the wear. The one broken in using Kawi's method had less wear. I'd post a link to the page, but it's been 3 years. I don't know if it's still around.

I know some Ninja 500R pages come and go quick. They used to have a company that made a 600cc,700cc, and 800cc Over Bore & Stroke Kit for the 500R. Can't find that site at all since last year. The worst part was they sold a ton of race parts for the bike.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ah yes... the mighty mystery oil... I used that in my cars & trucks when I had the money. That's pretty cool stuff.

·
Registered
380 Posts
well I found it to be a little more encouraging... riding on the local streets here at 45mph could get me squished pretty easily...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts