Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 03 ZX-6R. I haven't picked it up yet and am interested as to what ya'll think about how I should break in the bike.

Do I follow the manual?

OR

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'm VERY curious as to the opinions of that link.

please help. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

generally following the mfg procedures is fine-biggest thing is try to avoid sustained speeds
for any length of time for the first few hundred miles-vary your speed alot from slow to fast
and shift alot so the rings don't seat at a sustained speed :wink:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
listen to bikeaholic, try to keep the RPMs varying and run it up high, although I would suggest staying 1-2K from redline, don't punch it too hard. make sure you always get the bike up to good running temps before you run it too hard.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Very good advice guys!!! As hard as it is going to be not to get on it for the little while that you are breaking it in, you do not want to destroy the motor... Now me I am very hard headed and it was super hard for me not to get on my 9 when it was brand new but I knew what harm it could do to the bike so i tried my hardest not too...

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
BREAK IN

These guys are right...Let the bike cool pretty good at times too, and remember to never use any more choke any longer tahn you have to,,,it only takes a little for a very little time, and don't forget to cleat it rev it up some to clear the choke after you have turned it completely off. shifting, running at various speeds and even opening it up some, "Stretching it" is a good thing up to about 80%...the allow thing to cool off...no jumping on/off the throttle wheelies or hard downshifting while you are breaking it in...enjoy it an get a feeling for the bike and leave evtra room because you will probably be in a higher gear than normal...find out what your brakes are capable of doing without skidding, listen for noises, esp chain noise and gear noises...apply a pair of nylon tie strips to yor front forks to see that they are compressing equally in turns and stops...you can cut them off later should you not like their appearance. KEEP the chain well lubricated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts