Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until today, the coldest weather I'd ever ridden in was 36 degrees. This morning I was really undecided about whether to ride to work. Although it's supposed to get up to 48 today, it was only 23 degrees when I was contemplating what to do. I finally decided to drive and headed out to the car. But when I opened the garage door and realized what a sunny, gorgeous day it was, I changed my mind. Went back in the house, put my silk longjohns on under my jeans, put all my gear on, and headed off to work. It was 25 degrees when I left.

I'm happy to say that it turned out great. My legs were a tiny bit cold. I didn't wear my cold-weather pants because it's kind of pain to put them on and take them off for such a short ride, but my legs weren't very cold, even with just jeans and the silk longjohns and going 80mph (oops--it's so easy to speed on this new bike; the speed limit on that road is 55mph!). I was even kind of hot on top. The textile jacket I have is super warm. I put the liner in it today, for the first time, and I was toasty warm. I got some new winter gloves Friday, too, and my hands were perfectly fine. It's nice to know that I can ride comfortably when it's this cold. I have to admit, though, it was a bit strange riding a motorcycle with several inches of snow on the ground. It'll be gone by this afternoon when I head home, though.

I want to squeeze out every bit of riding I can before the roads get too nasty to continue!

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
jukief said:
Until today, the coldest weather I'd ever ridden in was 36 degrees. This morning I was really undecided about whether to ride to work. Although it's supposed to get up to 48 today, it was only 23 degrees when I was contemplating what to do. I finally decided to drive and headed out to the car. But when I opened the garage door and realized what a sunny, gorgeous day it was, I changed my mind. Went back in the house, put my silk longjohns on under my jeans, put all my gear on, and headed off to work. It was 25 degrees when I left.

I'm happy to say that it turned out great. My legs were a tiny bit cold. I didn't wear my cold-weather pants because it's kind of pain to put them on and take them off for such a short ride, but my legs weren't very cold, even with just jeans and the silk longjohns and going 80mph (oops--it's so easy to speed on this new bike; the speed limit on that road is 55mph!). I was even kind of hot on top. The textile jacket I have is super warm. I put the liner in it today, for the first time, and I was toasty warm. I got some new winter gloves Friday, too, and my hands were perfectly fine. It's nice to know that I can ride comfortably when it's this cold. I have to admit, though, it was a bit strange riding a motorcycle with several inches of snow on the ground. It'll be gone by this afternoon when I head home, though.

I want to squeeze out every bit of riding I can before the roads get too nasty to continue!

jukief....GOOD FOR YOU!!!! :)

I know we all have our favorite places to buy leathers....but if your looking to purchase them in the near future you may want to look at www.bikerleather.com

I bought our leathers from these folks for alot less $$$ compared to other sites and they sell good quality leathers.

When I head out to ride in the cold I do like you and wear extra clothing underneath....BUT....leathers are great wind blockers and help with keeping you warm as well as keeping your clothes clean.

Yesterday I enjoyed another chilly ride and took pictures along the way. You can see them below:
http://groups.msn.com/RCHobbiesRFun/november212004vulcanride.msnw?albumlist=2

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T-man said:
How do you keep your face from frosting over? :shock:
Full-face helmet! :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
jukief - That's great that you rode in that cold weather! It's starting to get cold here in Pennsylvania and I plan to ride as long as I can before it starts to get snowy, etc.

I have a question - What kind of gloves did you get? I have cold weather riding clothes that are extremely helpful, but my gloves don't keep my hands warm enough. I'm wondering what gloves kept your hands comfortable in 20 and 30 degree weather.

Thanks.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gloves I have are made by Spartan. They have wind/waterproof covers that are stored in a little zipped pocket on top the glove. They're attached; you pull them out and over your hands to cut the wind and water. The gloves are leather, really thick, and have thinsulate lining. I got them from my friend, an ABATE instructor, who gets all kinds of gear from different manufacturers to sell to her students at cost.

I just ordered some silk glove liners, though, for both my husband and me. My friend told me that they can make all the difference, no matter how good your gloves are.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
MeanieRider , get yourself a good pair of leather , gaunlet snowmobile glove's They work real well. I've been out snowmobiling at -20 below at 60 mph for an extended period of time an they did just fine. Of course the hand warmers help a little, but it was still cold. A neck gator works good for pulling up over your chin if need be. The full face fogged up big time. One thing I found to be of some use was a little bottle of rain-x defogger carry it in your pocket or bag, wrapped up in a clean cotton towel. Helps clean the finger prints off too.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I wear a gator, too. Makes a huge difference. My visor stays clear as long as I'm moving. When I stop at a light for very long, I crack it a tiny bit and that keeps it clear.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
gloves

i also use snowmobile gloves when it gets real cold. julie, you should notice a big difference with the liners, they really do work. i work in the power industry where we have to wear rubber gloves year round. i have been in a bucket truck at below zero temps and the only thing that kept my hands warm in the rubber gloves were thin liners like that.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: gloves

ispeed77 said:
i also use snowmobile gloves when it gets real cold. julie, you should notice a big difference with the liners, they really do work. i work in the power industry where we have to wear rubber gloves year round. i have been in a bucket truck at below zero temps and the only thing that kept my hands warm in the rubber gloves were thin liners like that.
You're a lineman? My ex-husband used to be a lineman for the power (electric) company. :)

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Re: gloves

jukief said:
ispeed77 said:
You're a lineman? My ex-husband used to be a lineman for the power (electric) company. :)
I hear a glen campbell song coming

·
32,545 Posts
lineman

hehe
well, sort of. i was a lineman for the past 7 1/2 years. i just took a position as Operations Supervisor. now i oversee our substation, our metering department, and our generation plant. but still a lineman at heart. i'd better be, since i have the tattoo for life ! i may end up going back, after i get some management experience and training for the old resume.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It must be brutal being a lineman where you live. I know how many storms my ex used to have to go out in, and I think your winter weather is a lot worse than ours! Lots of overtime, though--that was the good side of it. Still, I used to feel like he was risking his life very often. Being up there on the pole during a snowstorm isn't the safest thing to be doing! I really appreciate the hard work lineman go through, though, to restore power during outages, knowing almost firsthand what they go through.

For what it's worth, I think it's good you moved to management! My cousin's husband was a lineman for 25 years; he went into management about five years ago, and I know my cousin sleeps better at night!

·
37,387 Posts
I'm not a lineman nor do I play one on TV. I did support the IT department of a major service provider across 6 western states and from the SME (subject matter expert) contact I had with the tradesman I can tell you that the winter line maintenance in Wyoming and Utah can be harsh as well.

·
32,545 Posts
lineman

believe it or not we have more problems here during the rain than we do in snow. the rain tends to make small problems, that we don't know about, even worse. as far as risking our lives, well yeah, but that's what we signed up for. we make a pretty decent living because of it, so i am not complaining. i think my body agrees with you though. it feels good to give it a rest from the tools. i am still young, at 27, and haven't really had any problems, but look at the older guys. almost any older linemen you see are in some sort of pain from working the tools all of their lives. technology is in our favor as there are a lot of lineman friendly tools out there, but they have a cost that some companies cannot justify. oh well, i am sure my wife is happier that i am risking my life a little less now. she hasn't said it, but i think it would be pretty obvious. i still help the crews out when they need it and i work in the substation, but i am definitely at less risk now. thanks for your concern and recognition.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Ispeed77,Now that your in management what other forum's do the upper management hang around during bussiness hour's. Or is this one of the perks for being in management? (LOL) where can I get one of these kinda jobs?Wait a minute I must have one of these job's because I'm on hear during bussiness hour's as well. Oh well nevermind.<BG>

·
37,387 Posts
woodchucks800 said:
Ispeed77,Now that your in management what other forum's do the upper management hang around during bussiness hour's. Or is this one of the perks for being in management? (LOL) where can I get one of these kinda jobs?Wait a minute I must have one of these job's because I'm on hear during bussiness hour's as well. Oh well nevermind.<BG>
I work from home on the company laptop but all the while the family computer is on and I'm in and out of this forum all day to bridge the highs and lows of the business day

·
32,545 Posts
work

chucks
in between my TOUGH jobs, hehe, i take a look at my email and check my posts. then occassionally i make it to the new posts and of course spend a few minutes on ebay. all in a hard days work, hehe. i can't complain.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
spok said:
I work from home on the company laptop but all the while the family computer is on and I'm in and out of this forum all day to bridge the highs and lows of the business day
I work at home 75% of the time, so I can check the forum throughout the day without a problem. Even when I'm at the office I check it. My job requires that I do research on the web all day long, so it doesn't really matter much if I take a few minutes to read new posts or reply to something. :)

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Guy's, My cabinet an furniture shop about 4 mi. from home so I come home for lunch. Being the owner I tend to take a couple of hrs. for lunch So I can check an see what's going on . Now that winter has set in this forum's going to get bussier. An we'll probably see a few more member's join as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts