Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Live, Laugh, Ride
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my wife were getting ready to go for a nice long ride into the mountains and we then got a call from my sister in law and told us that my brother and nephew just went down after a dog ran out in front of them. They are both lucky from what I have heard but I do not have details, but it doesn't sound like anything was broken on either of them. It sure shakes you up when it is so close to home. Things sure can change ina blink of the eye. Man!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Glad they are okay............yes, things to happen quickly. The only thing we can do is try to see bad things developing before they happen and maybe give us just a fraction of a second warning. Sometimes that makes all the difference between tragedy and survival.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
That's so scary--and it's something that can easily happen to any of us. It sounds like your brother handled it well, though, if there weren't any serious injuries.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
last summer i had a medium size dog run out infront of me at around 50mph...for the grace of god i have no idea how i missed it.....glad to hear so far theres no serious injuries

·
Registered
237 Posts
Good no one was hurt...

I wonder are you guys aware of tactics to use on dogs? There are a few tricks, nothing violent, just knowing how dogs work, you can throw them way off their mark, ie you.

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
I use to deal with dogs a lot riding around all the farm homesteads. I discovered what worked for me was to slow down as you see the dog coming then speed up as he gets to your side. THe speed change has worked for me on many occasions when it developed slowly in front of me. Occasionally the leg ready for a kick if needed.

Of course, not much help if he darts out of nowhere....

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
stebel air horn will make them drag their nose on the ground trying to stop. Blip it just about 4 foot from the dog, the next 2 bikes behind you are safe too.
Note; this works well, and has worked well many, many times for both my wife and myself, our luck could easily change next ride but I have faith in the stebel air horns. A pair of them together sounds like a 18 wheeler is about to get you.

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
I use to deal with dogs a lot riding around all the farm homesteads. I discovered what worked for me was to slow down as you see the dog coming then speed up as he gets to your side. THe speed change has worked for me on many occasions when it developed slowly in front of me. Occasionally the leg ready for a kick if needed.

That's what they say to do in the DOT permit book.

·
Registered
141 Posts

That is how they teach it in the safety course throw off their timing

·
Live, Laugh, Ride
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dog was not after them it was just running across the road. My brother does not remember anything after hitting the dog. My nephew (11 Years old) said that after they hit the dog the were thrown sideways and into the air. After he landed he was able to get up and check on my brother who was in and out of concsiousness (spelling??). He got some neighbors to call 911 and they were taken to the hospital for cat scan and x-rays. All came back with good news and they were released. Both are very sore today with lots of road rash, my brother also has a bad headache and my nephews knee looks like a bowling ball but all said, they are extremely lucky. If my nephew did not have his fullface helmet on he would have had severe facial damage after seeing pics of his helmet. Just another reminder (and a big one when it hits close to home) to wear my gear all the time. I know this will not save my life in all accidents but it will at least give me a chance (I hope). I have only been riding for a couple of years and this has me really shaken up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts