Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
V 2win
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read in MCN that HD will stop all operations involving Buell on Dec. 18. They want to sell MV Augusta, but said Buell is too deeply rooted in HD to sale. I owned a 01 M2 Cyclone that I had Nallin racing head service do the heads, used their pistons & Carls speed shop CM580 cams. That little motor screamed! A very fun bike, but at 54 , with a 7 yr old son the wife said that kinda bike was outta here! Not a perfect bike, but I sure hate to see any co. fail. looks like Buell goes the route of deLorean & the dinosaur.

·
VN900
208 Posts
I guess Erik Buell shouldn't have crushed a Buell Blast into a 3 foot cube when he dropped the Blast from the line and stated: "Now we're back to what we really wanted to do, which is build real American sportbikes." Too bad.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Just read in MCN that HD will stop all operations involving Buell on Dec. 18. They want to sell MV Augusta, but said Buell is too deeply rooted in HD to sale. I owned a 01 M2 Cyclone that I had Nallin racing head service do the heads, used their pistons & Carls speed shop CM580 cams. That little motor screamed! A very fun bike, but at 54 , with a 7 yr old son the wife said that kinda bike was outta here! Not a perfect bike, but I sure hate to see any co. fail. looks like Buell goes the route of deLorean & the dinosaur.
Yeah, if you go to the Buell site you can see a video that Eric made telling about it. I think I head about it a month or so ago.

And DeLorean is still sort of around by the way. ;) They are supposed to be or already did buy the Pontiac Solstice line.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I read where VRC is on the way out as well. Harley is hurting financially due to poor sales.:confused:
What I don't get is that if they are hurting why did they bring n like 10 new models this year? Most companies downsize their lines when they are hurting.

90% of the bikes I see on the road are HD's. They started farming a lot of their parts to China too and the prices just keep going up. No to mention all the money they make on clothing and anything with a HD badge on it. How they are hurting I have no idea. Buell is gone because HD did a VERY crappy job at promoting and selling them. Every HD dealer I've been into has had 95% of the store dedicated to HD bikes and accessories/clothing and Buell had like 3 bikes on display in a corner.

I was sad to see Milwaukee Iron go under this year.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I guess Erik Buell shouldn't have crushed a Buell Blast into a 3 foot cube when he dropped the Blast from the line and stated: "Now we're back to what we really wanted to do, which is build real American sportbikes." Too bad.
I don't think the Blast was helping that line at all. For the price people would of been MUCH better on a Ninja 250. It was just wannabe future HD owners buying them as a starter bike.

·
VN900
208 Posts
I agree with going with the Ninja. I just thought the timing of the crushed Blast and then the demise of the company only a couple of months later sounded like some of the luck I run into!

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
I don't think the Blast was helping that line at all. For the price people would of been MUCH better on a Ninja 250. It was just wannabe future HD owners buying them as a starter bike.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with that last bit. I know a handful of Blast owners, and not one of them ever aspired to own a Harley, or a Ninja 250 for that matter. The Blast was a great beginner bike that was perfect for shorter folks, and a lot of people just dig 'em. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Harley brought out no "new" bikes for 2010. They just repackaged what they always make, tired old v-twins. 1920's technology can only last so long and there is a limit to the number of ways you can repackage and rehype the same old stuff. Those that try something outside the v-twin world quickly come to the realization these bikes are stuck in the same era as the model-T... no matter how much chrome you add. Harley will go on for another generation or 2 but it will be difficult for those who cut their teeth on sport bikes to take the giant leap backwards. Buell tried to move forward but I guess they couldn't sell enough t-shirts.
BTW... this is in no way brand bashing. Harley has been very successful marketing chrome and noise. Good for them. As long as there is a line of folks drinking the biker coolaide, they will survive.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Sorry, but I have to disagree with that last bit. I know a handful of Blast owners, and not one of them ever aspired to own a Harley, or a Ninja 250 for that matter. The Blast was a great beginner bike that was perfect for shorter folks, and a lot of people just dig 'em. Nothing wrong with that.
They where and are garbage. Honestly. I've dealt with a lot of them and they vibrated like crazy, most thumpers do, had oil leak issues, shifty like junk and had no power at higher rpm (I'd of never got on the e-way on one). If anyone would of compared the Blast and the Ninja the Ninja was a much better bang for the buck. But I guess for a beginner that did not know anything about bikes and wanted something simple that they could ride without much maintenance the Blast would be a good beginner bike and that's it. But side by side comparison I still can't understand why anyone would of picked a Buell except for that they thought they where getting a HD. But that is just my opinion on them. I'm sure people had good reasons to buy them.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Harley brought out no "new" bikes for 2010. They just repackaged what they always make, tired old v-twins. 1920's technology can only last so long and there is a limit to the number of ways you can repackage and rehype the same old stuff. Those that try something outside the v-twin world quickly come to the realization these bikes are stuck in the same era as the model-T... no matter how much chrome you add. Harley will go on for another generation or 2 but it will be difficult for those who cut their teeth on sport bikes to take the giant leap backwards. Buell tried to move forward but I guess they couldn't sell enough t-shirts.
BTW... this is in no way brand bashing. Harley has been very successful marketing chrome and noise. Good for them. As long as there is a line of folks drinking the biker coolaide, they will survive.
I don't think they had EFI in the 1920's. LOL I don't get why people think HD is some dinosaur when it come to technology. Most manufacturers copy what HD does. I think their fuel injection system is higher technology than most other cruisers on the road right now.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Outside of the cruiser/chopper world, there is virtually none of the Harley "technology" applied to anything. Hmmm... 2 valves, push rods, and pickle fork cranks are not found on many motoGP bikes... or anything else. Harley isn't even a modern design in the cruiser world, much less anywhere else. Popular they are, techy they aren't. I still vote for dinosauer (-:
Lots of folks like them though and ridin' is ridin' and that is good enough.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
I guess you're trying to kill this thread... ;)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Outside of the cruiser/chopper world, there is virtually none of the Harley "technology" applied to anything. Hmmm... 2 valves, push rods, and pickle fork cranks are not found on many motoGP bikes... or anything else. Harley isn't even a modern design in the cruiser world, much less anywhere else. Popular they are, techy they aren't. I still vote for dinosauer (-:
Lots of folks like them though and ridin' is ridin' and that is good enough.
Don;t forget about the Vrod. That's a mean machine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don;t forget about the Vrod. That's a mean machine.
Thats funny, salespeople at Harley make sure to tell everyone that comes through the door how innovative the v rod is. The most high tech peice of equipment out there. Fuel injected, overhead cams, multiple valves, water cooled. I think discovery channel even did a show about it. Never mind that all the other manufacturers been using the same technology for 25 years.
I must admit though that nobody makes a better looking bike than harley.I almost bought one this week.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Thats funny, salespeople at Harley make sure to tell everyone that comes through the door how innovative the v rod is. The most high tech peice of equipment out there. Fuel injected, overhead cams, multiple valves, water cooled. I think discovery channel even did a show about it. Never mind that all the other manufacturers been using the same technology for 25 years.
I must admit though that nobody makes a better looking bike than harley.I almost bought one this week.
I doubt you'd find a metric with that much torque for that price though. It's a beast.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.