Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Burning Electronics Smell on 900 after a 2 Hour Highway Ride


I was on the highway for 2 hours at 80 MPH and when I got off the highway, I could smell a burning electronics smell from my bike. I wasn't so sure it was my bike or not, but when I got to my destination, it still smelled like burning electronics.

I let my bike sit for 6 hours... (I was at a Theme Park)


There was no more burning smell when I got back to my bike in the parking lot 6 hours alter. I went back on the highway for 2 hours at 80 MPH. I got home... no smell still.

The burning electronics smell was only at the end of my first 2 hour highway ride.

Anyone have any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,328 Posts
I'd go through the wiring looking for signs of overheating in the connections,fuse block(s) and inside the headlight housing.

Check the wiring coming out of the alternator and the regulator/rectifier for damaged insulation too. Verify the battery connections are clean and tight along with the ones going to the starter motor.
 

·
This snow has got to go!
Joined
·
513 Posts
Burning Electronics Smell on 900 after a 2 Hour Highway Ride


I was on the highway for 2 hours at 80 MPH and when I got off the highway, I could smell a burning electronics smell from my bike. I wasn't so sure it was my bike or not, but when I got to my destination, it still smelled like burning electronics.

I let my bike sit for 6 hours... (I was at a Theme Park)


There was no more burning smell when I got back to my bike in the parking lot 6 hours alter. I went back on the highway for 2 hours at 80 MPH. I got home... no smell still.

The burning electronics smell was only at the end of my first 2 hour highway ride.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Man, I have noticed this on my 900. Last time I noticed this, my headlight stopped working. Found out that the electrical connection from the bucket to main harness was loose. I think it may have something to do with my risers. Maybe the power was arcing in the loose connector and heated the plastic.
 

·
frequently disturbs class
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Man, I have noticed this on my 900. Last time I noticed this, my headlight stopped working. Found out that the electrical connection from the bucket to main harness was loose. I think it may have something to do with my risers. Maybe the power was arcing in the loose connector and heated the plastic.
A while back ..like '08... we had a rash of 900 owners report issues with connections inside the light bucket. If nothing turns up elsewhere, check it out. the threads are prolly still here somewhere.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an aftermarket headlight... and I myself, wired the bulb internally. There is nothing wrong with that setup. It has to be something else.
 

·
MadMac
Joined
·
246 Posts
Prior to your first 2 hour ride at 80 mph, how long had it been since your last ride of this particular nature? Periodic high heating of the oil will produce this kind of smell. My guess is a hotter than normal engine and oil, but nothing to get really concerned about.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Prior to your first 2 hour ride at 80 mph, how long had it been since your last ride of this particular nature? Periodic high heating of the oil will produce this kind of smell. My guess is a hotter than normal engine and oil, but nothing to get really concerned about.
I am a daily commuter. No car. I ride a motorcycle the same way you use a car.

Makes some sense. I'll report here if I smell it again.
 

·
Winter sucks.
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
Man, I have noticed this on my 900. Last time I noticed this, my headlight stopped working. Found out that the electrical connection from the bucket to main harness was loose. I think it may have something to do with my risers. Maybe the power was arcing in the loose connector and heated the plastic.
And I helped!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top