Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Buying a 2004 Ninja 500R

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  fulltilt 
#1 ·
There is a 2004 Ninja 500R in the paper and I'm wondering if it a good deal?... I'm fairly new to riding, so if the people who bought or know about buying Ninja 500R's could help me out, that would be awesome.

This is what he listed: "2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500R. Silver. 10K miles. Excellent Condition. Includes Helmet +Lock+ Gloves +Jacket. Must Sell. $3200 OBO."

I called him and he still has it and gave me a little more info on it.
- Bought the bike with 4k miles on it 7 months ago. 6K miles in 7 months, seems like a lot since he lives in the city. There aren't meany long open stretches around here.
- Said he changed oil every 2k.
- Tinted windshield installed (which means the picture was probably taken when he first got it).
- K&N air filter installed.
- He said he's hoping that the seller doesn't want the extras since he's planing to buy a "bigger" sport bike and will kind of need the gear.

Below is a picture of it off the net. It's been raining non-stop and supposed to run through the weekend, so hopefully I can test ride it the begining of next week...
I was thinking of offering that he keep the gear and bring down the price, but don't know a good low ball to start from, and a reasonably target price. Anything I should look or watch out for on a bike with 10k miles?

See less See more
#2 ·
The price is probably about on par for the bike, providing it is in good shape. New would retail for up to $4600, but you gotta also consider dealer fees etc.

Tell him to keep the gear, you can get your own in the proper size and configuration for not too much. Since he's already admitted the price is obo, offer him 2800, take it from there.....and settle on 3000. Anywhere in this range is a good price for an '04.

Check it over well.........the K&N filter would have me questioning why he chose to do this mod, IMO. Good luck!

#5 ·
axledeep said:
Tell him to keep the gear, you can get your own in the proper size and configuration for not too much. Since he's already admitted the price is obo, offer him 2800, take it from there.....and settle on 3000. Anywhere in this range is a good price for an '04.
Check it over well.........the K&N filter would have me questioning why he chose to do this mod, IMO. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. I already have my own gear, so I would have told him that anyway. I figured the K&N was for performance, but I'll be sure to ask.

DiverDown said:
Also check and see if the 600, 4000 & 7500 mile maintenance was done on it. This should tell you how good he did take care of it.
Okay... if he didn't do the maintainence, would knocking of a couple hundred be reasonable, or is it better to walk? BTW, Nice bike! :)

#6 ·
I got the bike!! Thanks every body for the info. I test rode the bike yesterday. The exterior is cherry like in the picture, never dropped. I got him to take the price down to $2900 with the bike lock.

He didn't take it in for 7500 servicing, but bought it after the original owner took it in for the 600 and 4000 mile. The idle is a little rough, so I was going to change all the fluids myself and take it in for servicing. Any idea on how much that'll cost?

#7 ·
Mrblue104 said:
I got the bike!! Thanks every body for the info. I test rode the bike yesterday. The exterior is cherry like in the picture, never dropped. I got him to take the price down to $2900 with the bike lock.

He didn't take it in for 7500 servicing, but bought it after the original owner took it in for the 600 and 4000 mile. The idle is a little rough, so I was going to change all the fluids myself and take it in for servicing. Any idea on how much that'll cost?
$2900.00??? WOW that is awesome....congrats!!
Now you can spend the money and "mod" it out if you want, call it your own..... 8)

#9 ·
DrX512 said:
$2900?!?!

Wow, I should really haggle that '04 Ninja 500R down to about $3400 before buying it from the dealership. Maybe I can get them to throw in one of those new scorpion helmets too...
Well, I kind of left out the part that this was a 17yr old squid who was just dying to ditch the bike so he could upgrade. I'm not sure you're going to get that kind of eagerness to sell from a dealership. Although you never know. They'd be more likely to throw in some extras rather than drop the price, IMO. :)

#13 ·
Mrblue104 said:
NinjaGirl said:
$2900.00??? WOW that is awesome....congrats!!
Now you can spend the money and "mod" it out if you want, call it your own..... 8)
Thanks! Haha, yeah, I've been trying to look for some handle bar risers, to bring them a little closer.

How did you get a ZX-5R? Do you live outside of the US?
"ZX-5R" is just another "make up" name for the 500R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.