Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a 04' kawasaki zx6rr in mid august. i was wondering what all i should know or get ready for, for it. if that makes sense. i need to get a motorcycle license. get some full leather, a helmet, and a little better skills. anything anyone has to say will help. thanks
-trent

·
Registered
269 Posts
Try and spend alot of time on dirt bikes or smaller motorcycles, and get as much experience as you can by August. If that is your first bike, man take it easy, that is alot of bike to start with. That rr is no joke, Race Ready and emergency Room Ride.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Best advice is don't get a ZX6 as a first bike, way more power tha you need to start and too twitchy for a newbie.

Get a 500 for your first year or two, plenty of used one around, cheaper to insure, might allow you to get it sooner.

Training, gear and a level head also needed.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
MSF, yes do it. Gear, get plenty of gear if your gonna be riding a RR as your first bike. Frame sliders on the bike whenever you get it too, it'll be cheaper that way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for the tips. i was wondering how much it costs to get a motorcycle license, take the msf, and what the heck are frame sliders? thanks for helping out the newbie.

and no i'm not gonna be racing it. just a fun ride.

also where should i go about buying all my gear. thanks

-trent

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
MSF and licence cost vary widely from one state to the next.

Do a google search for MSF and you should find it and links to your local MSF courses, same with DMV wich should give you the info you're looking for.

Frame sliders are essentially bolts that screw into your frame and stick out from the fairings ( on sportbikes ), usually nylon ( plastic ) heads on the bolts will keep the fairing from touching the ground should you drop your bike. They're reasonably priced and a good investment but don't expect them to allow you to slide your bike safely down the road they are not always effective ( depends on how your bike goes down ).

As for gear, there are so many places so many options no one best spot. I suggest you find a dealer near you and establish a relationship, you might pay a little more but usually the more often you go back the better the deals get.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Man, aren't you guys limited to a smaller bike for a period of time after you first obtain your license???

Sheesh, half the dickheads over here would kill themselves starting out on a 600! :shock:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Nope, you can walk into dealership with no experience and 16 yrs old, and ride a gsxr 1300 Hyabusa home. Doesn't make much sense to me but the dealers are very happy to see a young person with a pocket full of money. Really wish they would limit size of bike on atleast age. But as it usually happens greed is stronger than morality.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Thankfully at least the insurance rates keep a lot of these squids from getting in over their heads.

But something should be done to keep these kids from killing themselves.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Uncle Bob said:
Thankfully at least the insurance rates keep a lot of these squids from getting in over their heads.

But something should be done to keep these kids from killing themselves.
True, it would be nice to see the "engine cc limit by age" law I've seen in a lot of other countries...

It would also propagate more sales of smaller cc bikes and open the minds of the power hungry crowd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
RR, hmmm??? If i were you i would strongly reconsider investing your money into a bike of that caliber. My first bike was a zzr600 and i've mastered the beast, but a beast it is indeed. It has the same engine as a zx-6r with a more laid back posturing. regardless, if you have no experience on bikes at all, i URGE you to reconsider...that bike you're thinking of is **** fast...a little bit of throttle goes a long long way, and that can be tricky to a novice. have you actually sat on one?
probably not the most comfortable first bike. i'm not trying to lecture here, just a little concerned...have you looked at any other bikes...
best of luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts