Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My friend is interested in buying a two stroke motorcross dirtbike used. We want to know what some of the things we should do and check while looking at different bikes. Should we do a compression test, and any other things that will prove the bike is not a rip off. he wants to buy a used kx125 so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
1. Check the brakes, how do they feel, are they mushy...

2. Check the calipers, are the bushings intact? How are the pads. Anyone worth their salt would replace things like oil, airfilter and pads for brakes.

3. Put the bike on a stand. Take the swingarm and wiggle it side to side and if you feel play, that probably means the bearings need to be replaced.

4. Is it greased? Do all the greased areas look like they have been taken care of?

5. Spokes - Are they tight? That is a major indicator of how much maintenace the bike has had.

6. How does it run? Does it load up on the bottom end like it won't clean out? Does it smoke excessively? I would ask because the owner of my past bike replaced the piston and didn't put the circlip on the piston correctly and it spun on the piston and squared off the exhaust ports, causing it to have blow by on the piston. No good. Cost me 600 bucks in parts, including new cylinder!!!

7. How many times have they replaced the piston and rings? Has it been raced?

8. Is the airfilter clean.

9. How does the steering stem feel? Tight?

10. How do the bolts look. Any look stripped?

Do your best to check on the bike and make a good decision. Then you will see if it is a good deal. If you aren't happy with the bike after you get it home and discover you have to put money into to be happy, then you really DID NOT get a good deal....

·
Registered
191 Posts
thats a great list there. the only thing i can add off the top of my head is tranny. run through all the gears. you dont have to top the bike out but shift through . also feel the clutch as you let off. every bolt bushing mount on the thing. make sure they are there. I looked at a 94125 for 700 bucks and it was missing two pipe mounts. I started the bike up and the idle adjuster was turned all the way up. i adjusted a few things for him. told him what to do. ask him as many questions as you can and see what he says and how quick he answers. someone that knows their bike will know every bolt on the thing. oh yeah, ask him what ratio hes been running the thing at.

happy hunting

1 - 3 of 3 Posts