Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the most important thing in buying a helmet is to initially disregard price and simply try as many as possible on to see what fits best and is most comfortable, but before I can actually get to a store I figured I'd do some poking around to get a direction to go in so I can be back out riding ASAP. I've read a lot of reviews on different brands, Shoei, Arai, HJC, Scorpion, etc., and have taken a liking to what Scorpion offers. I looked up sportbiketrackgear.com since I've seen others get great deals from there and saw they had some good closeout deals going on. I was first going to look at the EXO-400, but then saw they had some EXO-700s for very cheap too. Since I'm no helmet expert, I'm curious as to why there's such a difference between helmets of the same model? For example, one EXO-700 is going for $250, and another $108... is the only thing justifying this difference the paint work? It looks like all the features are the same...?

I meant for this thread to be for people who own or have owned Scorpion helmets to comment on their experience with them, but also wanted to throw in that question because it's baffling me.

Other recommendations for good quality but budget-conscious helmets are welcome too! Looking around the $100-200 range since I have to buy two - one for the wife as well.

·
Old Cruiser
58 Posts
Recently bought a full face modular helmet with dual visors from Leatherup.com for $109.00 plus $7.95 shipping. Helmet is made by Hawk, DOT approved, excellent fit, and real comfortable. Check it out!!

·
VN900
208 Posts
I cannot speak for Scorpion helmets since I use a Shoei RF1000. I will say that every manufacturer has some difference in their models. Some may have an aero lip to reduce wind buffeting or different venting systems. Some features are more important on a sport bike than on a cruiser. Another thing to consider is that one might be Snell certified and the other only DOT. To me, DOT does not mean so much since the testing is done by the manufacturer, while each Snell certified model is tested by a disinterested party. Weight of the helmet can also be another factor in price. I look at it this way. What's more important, the bling you lay out for your bike (which is good) or your noggin?

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Shell materials are different...and from these two reviews, it seems implied (never actually stated though), that the venting is better on the 700. Also, the 700 is slightly (2 oz) lighter.

Scorpion EXO-700 Helmet - webBikeWorld

Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet - webBikeWorld

But according to those two reviews...the 400 is every bit as good. IF the Scorpion's fit...they seem to be a lot of helmet for the money. I tried them on...gave me a MASSIVE head ache within minutes...my particular head shape does not work with Scorpions...so DO try them on first.

·
Registered
146 Posts
ive got the exo -400 and have had issues with it at all and highly recommend it. As far as price goes i dont know why the difference could be the artwork and what not. mine was thrown in as part of the deal when i purchesed my bike .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's more important, the bling you lay out for your bike (which is good) or your noggin?
I absolutely agree... if the helmet I liked most was $500, I'd probably consider it, but I've heard many (some who even have the RF1000) who say their Scorpion is equal or even better (at least as far as comfortability, since crash testing is frowned upon :wink: ) than their $500+ helmet. I'm just trying to get a feel for such helmets so I don't shell out hundreds on something that may be just hype or name brand. Thanks for the DOT/Snell input. I've read much about that, but somehow missed the fact that DOT was done by the manufacturer :shock: That makes Snell all the more worth while to me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shell materials are different...and from these two reviews, it seems implied (never actually stated though), that the venting is better on the 700. Also, the 700 is slightly (2 oz) lighter.

Scorpion EXO-700 Helmet - webBikeWorld

Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet - webBikeWorld

But according to those two reviews...the 400 is every bit as good. IF the Scorpion's fit...they seem to be a lot of helmet for the money. I tried them on...gave me a MASSIVE head ache within minutes...my particular head shape does not work with Scorpions...so DO try them on first.
Sorry, my OP was a little confusing. As far as price difference, I meant within the EXO-700 line, not the 400 vs. 700. For the 700s there's a "Burst" look or "Rivet" look that is on sale for $108, but say the Chameleon or others are $249. This is the price difference I'm talking about. Since they're both EXO-700 (and comparing specs on each individual helmet) they seem to have the same features all around except for the paint...?

·
Registered
219 Posts
My Nolan N-41 is going into its 5th season and it's not going to make it to the other end, so I've been looking at a replacement. I've decided on the HJC IS-33. It's open-faced like my Nolan, fits as good, and its venting system is much better. $125 with shipping. Good luck.

BTW, if you're going to buy a discontinued model, make sure you can still find shields.

windman

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Sorry, my OP was a little confusing. As far as price difference, I meant within the EXO-700 line, not the 400 vs. 700. For the 700s there's a "Burst" look or "Rivet" look that is on sale for $108, but say the Chameleon or others are $249. This is the price difference I'm talking about. Since they're both EXO-700 (and comparing specs on each individual helmet) they seem to have the same features all around...?
Ah, I see. YES, a more complicated paint scheme will cost more than a solid color. It requires a lot more effort (and obviously more colors) to put those paint schemes on.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My Nolan N-41 is going into its 5th season and it's not going to make it to the other end, so I've been looking at a replacement. I've decided on the HJC IS-33. It's open-faced like my Nolan, fits as good, and its venting system is much better. $125 with shipping. Good luck.

BTW, if you're going to buy a discontinued model, make sure you can still find shields.

windman
windman brings up a good point ...be sure to check the manufacture date on any helmet you buy. you dont want to buy a helemt that has been sitting in the backroom of some shop for the last three years. most helmet are only good for 5 years then you should replace them

·
VN900
208 Posts
I agree, fit & comfort are the most important things to consider and your head shape make a huge difference! Also, sometimes good deals come your way when you already know what helmet you like and fits. Bike Bandit had a 1 day only sale on the RF1000's in December and other makes as well so I bought a spare helmet and with the free shipping & 10 % AMA discount they had, the helmet came to $172 delivered to my door. Sometimes it is good to be on mailing lists for companies. I have received at least 3, one day only sales that had awesome prices!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You need to buy what fits comfortable and in your price range. A helmet will only save you up to a certain point........after that, you are going to die, no matter how much you spent on your helmet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the EXO 100 and love it. It does look a little big on your head but is very comfortable and I like how the face shield retracts up into the helmet. Bought one for me and my wife and we both love them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
windman brings up a good point ...be sure to check the manufacture date on any helmet you buy. you dont want to buy a helemt that has been sitting in the backroom of some shop for the last three years. most helmet are only good for 5 years then you should replace them
Not that it's not a good point, but is it that critical if it's been on a shelf/in a box for a year or two or three? I just pulled up some info from the Snell site and it talks about this :

Why should you replace your helmet every five years?
The five year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both the helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production over can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

It seems like the 5 year rule mostly applies if the helmet is in use (and obviously if involved in a crash), then the materials like hair oils, dirts, etc. are responsible for breakdown. I guess this would be something for the scientists to figure out if just air itself deteriorates the glues, resins, etc., but it seems less of an issue if it's been on a shelf vs. normal usage. Maybe I'm wrong? I'd be curious to see contrasting info.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
The exo 400 is a great lid for the money. The only thing I don't like about mine is that the first open position of the shield makes a big gap.

EXO 700/1000s have better venting, built in flip down sunscreens, lighter shells, and I believe, fog-free shields.

If you can get a fit, go for it.- But spend the extra 5 bucks for the little air dam gizmo. It makes a big difference in the noise level.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
OK, I've had a lot of lids over the last 25+ years. Full face, 3/4, and 1/2 shell. Street and dirtbike helmets. Very expensive, high-end helmets to bargain basement, budget lids. And to some extent, you really do get what you pay for. Doesn't mean you need to spend $700 to get a quality lid, but don't cheap out on your head, either.

That said, and more specifically to your question...

I absolutely love my Scorpion. In fact, I'm on my second. The first was an exo-400, and I would still have it had it not been stolen. I replaced it with an exo-700 "chamelion". I've become very picky about helmets over the years, and feel they rival the Shoei's and Arai's. If they fit your head, they make one heck of a lid!

The price differance your seeing in 700's is just graphics. If it's a big differance, it's most likely just a discontinued graphic. They've added a few new paint schemes recently, so they had to drop some. Your probably just seeing close-out pricing on old graphics.

·
Long live the V2K!
593 Posts
I've got an HJC IS-33 3/4 helmet that I really like. Has the pop down sun visor that is separate from the front full-face shield. It's become my all-around helmet. I don't even use my modular full-face anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I picked up a HJC full face with the built in sun visor and love it. If you wear glasses normally I'd suggest spending the extra money and picking one up. It's really nice not to have to have perscription sun glasses or have to have contacts to have some sort of reprieve from the bright days on the road.

Picked up an Exo 400 for my girlfriend and she likes it. Fits her comfortably enough for longer rides and got it for a great price.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have 2 Scorpion 700's and love them. The fit and functions are great and it doesn't screw up the hair as much as my Shoei R1000. Further the Everclear screens on the Scorpion really do work. Fogging is limited or non-existent. The Shoei fogs terribly at the slightest bit of temperature change when it is cold outside. The price changes for helmets of the same model usually signifies that there is a model being discontinued and thusly reduced. New graphics are being brought into the line which of course is the higher price. Graphics vs. Solids are predominately more expensive (graphics) but all carry the same internal and shell components. Buy what fits best and is more comfortable... Scorpion is my best fit. Shop around on price there is always someone selling for far less than others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts