Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking at buying some new tires for my bike how good of a brand is kenda? I am new to motorcycles I dont have alot to spend around 100 bucks. FOund them at www.motorcycledreamshop.com
Front Tire size 100/90-16
Rear Tire size 130/90-16
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Tires

Brian, I'd look at the size again. You should have 16" on a EX250 (ninja250R) but 17" on a Ninja500R. Kenda is an inexpensive tire...less quality than your original tires. Since tires are actually the only things contacting with the road they are prpbably the most important part of the bike. Try looking at Pirelli Diablo's, Metzler, Avon, Michelin...stick with a Sticky tire, not a cruiser tire as your sport bike is completely different than a cruiser.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Tires

ZX-2R said:
Brian, I'd look at the size again. You should have 16" on a EX250 (ninja250R) but 17" on a Ninja500R. Kenda is an inexpensive tire...less quality than your original tires. Since tires are actually the only things contacting with the road they are prpbably the most important part of the bike. Try looking at Pirelli Diablo's, Metzler, Avon, Michelin...stick with a Sticky tire, not a cruiser tire as your sport bike is completely different than a cruiser.

I agree with you completly.. Tyres are one thing that you do not want to cheese out on... I have been riding on the Michelin Man "Pilot Sports" for the past 4 years and swear buy them... You can check out http://www.discountmotorcycletire.com/ they usually have good deals...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TIRES?CONTI

CONTI tires are mounting a serious campaign with some new rubber compounds...I think it is in August 2004 Sport Rider Magazine, that I just read...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the right size tires that my bike takes it is a 91 ex500. what about Cheng Shin is that a crappy brand to go with they are cheap so i think they must be.
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Brian//Tires

I didn't know that 16" were ever on a Ninja500R, I thought they were all 17"...IF in fact they are 16, then look at the Pirelli Diablo, Metzler 330Front and 550Rear, and Conti/continental is starting a serious tire war with their new compounds...For both street and racing. Go into (tires, motorcycle) and see who is selling what...Metzler was really nice and even sent me a letter, and Avon has a great tire as well...just make sure that you get a great set of tires...that won't let you down...Metzler ME 1 CompK Rear 140/80VB16 is a very sticky rear tire...and the Front 120/80 V250 (60V) TL ME33 Laser CompK, or the 120/80VB16 (60) TL ME Laser CompK...would be my choices...a this point, but I dislike giving advice, and prefer that yo do what you want to do for the tire that best fts your riding skills...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a better size that i should get other than stock. It is at the dealer right now getting the carbs rebuilt and tuned up i will look at it when i get it back but i am sure it was only 16's
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TIRES

When yoou get it home check the tire size again. I'm not familiar with the Ninja 500R and it having 16", I thought it always had 17". It's okay either way, though. If it's 16's then you still have options on tires, but 17" tires are very common now and there are some really sticky tires... whe you get it back home read the tires closely. Pirelli tires are supposed to be awesome. Either way pirelli are great tires, Metzler has some great tires...we'll see...MAYBE I'll learn that they had 16" on 91 500's. anyway there are options...and no reason to worry.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm not a tire expert, so I can't comment on which brand is better.

But I will echo the others here and say, get the best tires available for your bike and your riding needs. Don't get the most expensive. Get the best.

I'm a pretty frugal guy, but I never try to save money on tires. Get the best.

You've heard ZX-2R talk about the contact surface. It's small. Get the best tires available.

You've heard the saying, "where the rubber meets the road?" Well, this is it. Get the best.

You're taking a great step by talking to people and getting their opinions. Talk to the mechanics in your local dealerships, too. Then tally up what everyone says and get the best tires available.

Personally, I'd stick with the well-known brands. They have the most racing experience.

And I agree with the others here. You probably have 17" tires. That's good, because it gives you a lot more choices so you can get the best.

Saving $30 or $40 on tires isn't much when you have to buy new fairings and mirrors and turn signals, and fix the scratches on the muffler, etc.
Curt

·
Registered
30 Posts
ahhh with the tires!

Im kinda in the same situation.. ive been getting peoples opinions all over town, and it seems that everyone has a different opinion on what tire HOWEVER from the information i have gathered there is one thing everyone agrees upon pirelli, michelin, and dunlop. stick around those and u shouldnt go wrong. I think im going to get either pirelli diablo corsas or michelin pilot sports. good luck on getting yours! and while were at it... any opinions on my two contenders? anybody have experience on these... also ive heard a couple of good things about avons... supposedly its been said that theyre the stickiest, but i have yet to meet someone that has had them... any help with this?? thanks a bunch -Lizzy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts