Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I lost my only key to a 02 Kawasaki zx6rr and need it to drive to work so i can get the money to buy a new key or switch. anyone know how to bypass the switch "hotwire" this bike. Please help............about 8 miles to walk to work.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Don't, it is far less expensive to replace the switch than it is the Igniter should you spark the wrong wire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank's for the reply. I tried to hotwire the bike and connected the five wires together coming out from under the ignition swith by splicing into them. I tried to start the bike and .....nothing, only turns over and no start. I found 2 blown fuses, the ignition 10 amp and another fuse a 5 amp located at a wire harnes. I tested for voltage going to the fuel pump under the gas tank and there is power there.....so now i'm stumped. Is there a way to test the igniter ? should I just pull a spark plug and turn it over and see if I have a spark ? ????? Any help is surely appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a Kawasaki vulcan 2005 ..2000cc I've had wiring problem's ever since my igniction i thought went bad turned out main wire had a break in it..so i put a toggle switch in then kept running my battery down made the mistake of wiring it backwards then screwed the board plus harness not cheep after replacing all that bike still not starting any suggestions??

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
If battery was wired backwards then you likely need a new regulator and igniter. You can remove both and take them to your dealer for testing or if you get a service manual and a multimeter you can test it yourself. I am not sure what you mean by "the board".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Main control board and I did replace the igniter but not the regulator rectifier are those replaced often do they go out easly? So if I could figure out installing a toggle switch would save me some time ..its been down for 2 months now and I'm itching to ride

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
If polarity is reversed the regulator/rectifier will be damaged. What is the purpose of the toggle switch?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts