Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
What do you use to lube your cable, since the stores are closed tomorrow I was told that car speedo cables can be lubed with clean motor oil...is this the case...heeeeelp me :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Lots of people use motor oil. Personally I prefer grease (like white lithium grease) because over time, oil can soften the outside part of the cable. I also think that grease stays in there better and lasts longer.

I had never heard of using chain wax, but I'll bet that it would work great.
Curt

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Curt said:
Lots of people use motor oil. Personally I prefer grease (like white lithium grease) because over time, oil can soften the outside part of the cable. I also think that grease stays in there better and lasts longer.

I had never heard of using chain wax, but I'll bet that it would work great.
Curt
It says on the bottle that its Chain and cable wax. Its worked great for me, a silicon based lube would work also.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just bought white lithium grease, so...it better work curt...does anyone know if motos are like cars in that they have a little hole to add oil to?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
OILERS

Stuart, you can buy cable oilers that you spray into for the cable but most of the time you don't really need one. On the clutch cable just pull the clutch all the way in and shoot the white grease in, work the clutch several times and do it again. same with the other cables. the throttle cable can be done the same way if you loosen up the adjustment points so that there is lots of slack in the cable then you can acually lube the cable at the top next to the grip...even the grip rotates on a peice of thin teflon...then just wipe the excess off with a paper towel, or rag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts