Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a set of 16" Ape's for my 900LT, Anybody know what I am going to need as far as cables and wiring? Cant wait to get this all together. love the look of Apes. I should mention the 16' s will be on stock risers.

Thanks

·
Swingin like a monkey
814 Posts
I got +10's for my 16's, and they are just about perfect.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do you have any more pics of your bike with the apes on it? I am going to do this mod and I really havent decided which size apes to go with yet. Also do they have cable extension kits or do you simply need to replace the entire cable? How tall are you too. Maybe this will help in deciding which size to go to as I am only 5'9.

·
Swingin like a monkey
814 Posts
I'm 5'11", and the 16's are perfect for me. You need to get new cables, the cheapest I found them was through phat performance parts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
thanks for the pics they look great. I think maybe 14's but I am afraid to buy without feeling them out first. Did you feel them out first or just go for it and purchase them. Im not sure how to get a good feel for them unless I can find some on a vulcan to sit on. I dont want my hands way above my shoulders and I cant afford to do it twice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is exactly the look I want, awesome bike mittens. What about any extra wiring or will that be ok, I also ordered those grips too.

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
thanks for the pics they look great. I think maybe 14's but I am afraid to buy without feeling them out first. Did you feel them out first or just go for it and purchase them. Im not sure how to get a good feel for them unless I can find some on a vulcan to sit on. I dont want my hands way above my shoulders and I cant afford to do it twice.
+1 Looks great.

·
Swingin like a monkey
814 Posts
I never sat on a 900 with 16", but I did sit on my friend's HD with 16" and likeed them. Mine put my hands about an inch about my shoulders with the stock seat. To me it's very comfortable, and having your arms up completely changes your riding experience. You totally feel the lean a lot more, and it gives you amazing control over the bike.

That is exactly the look I want, awesome bike mittens. What about any extra wiring or will that be ok, I also ordered those grips too.
Anyway you do it, the wiring's gonna have to be modified, It's nowhere near long enough. But the plus side to that is that it gives you the perfect opportunity to do all of the wiring internally in the bar. It completely cleans up the look of the bars only having the cables, with no wiring.

All in all, I have about $400 in the bars, with cables and heat demon grip warmers, and it was the best money I've spend on her. My only regret has been going with a 1" bar rather than a 1 1/2".

Here's a link to my thread on the project:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/121810-apes-project.html

P.S. The side profile pic in the grass is also with a 2" drop in the rear.

·
Swingin like a monkey
814 Posts
Thanks mittens, I read somewhere that the mirrors become non-functional with 16", is this true?
Not true. I hated the stock kawi mirrors, so I switched out for an oval-shaped aftermarket mirror that I got at Ironpony for $40, and I run with just the left. Mostly for the look, and also that the heat demon control replaces the front half of the resovoir clamp, which had the mirror mount.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

I had originally ordered 14's, then switched to 16's..........I'm glad I did. 16's are right at my shoulders.

·
Swingin like a monkey
814 Posts
I had originally ordered 14's, then switched to 16's..........I'm glad I did. 16's are right at my shoulders.
Agreed. 14's just seem like half-a$$'n it. Spydermonkey, go with the 16", you won't be dissappointed. I promise you that the first time you sit on your newly-aped ride you're gonna say "what the he!! did I just do?!", but the first time you ride it those thoughts will dissolve with every mile. If I had it to do again, I might even think about 18's, but I think they'd look way too tall on that bike.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
I did 16" on my Custom with stock Classic risers and +10 Barnett cables. I found they were too loopy and had to add 3" riser extensions to make the cables look right.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I did 16" on my Custom with stock Classic risers and +10 Barnett cables. I found they were too loopy and had to add 3" riser extensions to make the cables look right.
I just hate when that happens.............8)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
rfb, how tall are you? you said that the 16 are at your shoulders.
5'11".................they are at my shoulder if I sit upright. Although I tend to ride like............well...................an ape.

Height is not an absolute guide. Some, the same height as me, may have longer legs......therefore, the bars will be higher. I am built kinda like an ape.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Sounds like you are built more like an eagle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts